Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watching TV on broadband

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Watching TV on broadband

I have a lodger in my house.  My wife and I do not have a TV ourselves and have not done so since it went digital many years ago because our TV was too old to receive it.  I know we are unusual but we seldom watched it before, and certainly do not miss it these days, even during lockdown - far too much else to do in our retirement !  Therefore we do not have a TV licence.

One of the conditions of the agreement with the lodger is that if he wants to watch TV, he will have to buy his own TV licence.  That did not concern him, as again he did not watch TV as he was studying for a qualification in the evenings after work.

As he had cancer some years ago, he is on the vulnerable list and therefore locks himself away all the time.  We never see him and he very rarely leaves his room - his girl-friend does the shopping for him and leaves it at the door for him to collect.  Frankly, I think he is taking isolation to extremes and it cannot be healthy living in such a confined space and not going out even for exercise.  But that is not my business and I rarely communicate with him because I do not see him.  He also lacks social skills.

Now I am beginning to worry that he may be watching TV using the broadband.  Is there any way I can identify through my Plusnet service whether this is the case or not ?  Will the data reports on my account be able either to put my mind at rest or give me cause for concern.?  Can the data differentiate between broadband TV and ordinary streaming ?  I suspect it can not.   Alternatively, can Plusnet tell me from my usage whether any of it is TV streaming for which a licence would be required? 

More worrying is whether the BBC can also obtain this information from Plusnet ? 

I may be forced to buy a TV licence myself as a security if I cannot be sure that he is not watching TV.  But I do not want to do that because, when we stopped watching TV years ago, we were harrassed by TVL for ages, and I do not want to go through that again when the lodger leaves - even if he behaves as if he was over 75 and entitled to a free licence, although he is only in his forties !

Any advice would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Watching TV on broadband

The question has to be, what is it that he's watching. My understanding is that you only need a licence  for watching live broadcasts or downloaded live programmes, see  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj_1bDD-Lrp...

If he is watching Amazon, Netflix, Britbox  or other such streamed films then as far as I am aware as long as they are not being transmitted over the internet live (as is generally the case) or being downloaded from a live transmission then a licence is not required. To Plusnet I suspect that it's all streamed content, whether it needs a licence or not.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shermans
Pro

That is of course the question which I cannot answer.  If I were to ask, I am certain I would be given the answer which suits him rather than the truth.  I just do not want to be held responsible.

shermans
Pro

Your answer prompted me to look at TVL's website which clearly says :

"The TV Licence is the tenants’ responsibility, unless the tenancy agreement specifies that the landlord will provide the licence."

So I think that covers me.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

TVL are not visiting at present, and if you've had no licence since the end of analogue, they're not going to pick on you now if and when they resume.

Plusnet are not going to be examining data streams for illicit traffic without a court order.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
elhaxi

My understanding is you don’t have to pay if you don’t use the service. I hear a while back in my area, they start sending people to some houses, agents lying to your face saying that you need a licence just because you own a screen then they start sending you letters about taking you to court. Few even get to sign a deceleration every few years saying I don't watch TV. All this failed and many still watch BBC from all over that's why's they are now flinging ideas out there to include it as a broadband levy