cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning to PlusNet

ed
Grafter

Warning to PlusNet

erm, a certain other ISP has just slashed the price of its 24mbps down / 2.5mbps up + fixed IP to £22pcm !!!
I think you should review your charging especialy on the business product  Wink
24 REPLIES 24
James
Grafter

Re: Warning to PlusNet

Upstream speeds sound like you're referring to BeThere?
ed
Grafter

Well I didn't want to say exactly who  Roll_eyes
But as i was paying £22 for 2mbps down / 288k up + fixed IP
you realy got to look at your pricing policy!
thehatman
Grafter

What's Be's policy on shaping/limits? There FUP is as vague on this as any.
ed
Grafter

none, just don't do anything illegal seems to be the policy.
so i guess if you torrenting millions of music and movie files they could kick you off their network.
zubel
Community Veteran

Good luck to them.  Here's hoping they still exist in 12 months time Smiley
B.
thehatman
Grafter

Yeah, but they are going to say something after a certain GB amount (per month) is downloaded aren't they? They nearly all do. But they are also nearly all cagey about stating what amount it is.
Is it 10GB
40, 100.
I'd need to know before moving.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Be were owned by O2 which was taken over by Telefónica S.A. (Spanish).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

I thought that the BeThere acquisition happened after the Telefonica takeover?
fceluk
Grafter

BeThere appears to have limited coverage at the moment.
Not available at my home
Maybe available at work this year
Neil_A
Grafter

It'll be interesting to see how they get on over the next year.
As a previous UK Online employee (now part of Sky) Be are now in a very similar position to the position UKOL were in when I was there.
We had the first 8Mb product and a good rep for customer service. We spent money on marketing and attracted customers who raved about us and recommended to their friends. In turn they recommended, call answer rate dropped, network got full, speeds dropped. The Sky bought em.
At some point the accountants will want to make some money too - in come off-shore call centres and murky FUPs. It's very hard to go from 30k customers to 100k and even harder to go from 100k to 200k without seriously compromising customer experience (we know this to our cost). Can O2 own Be without 'breaking' it? I certainly hope so for Be's customers' sakes. Only time will tell.
zubel
Community Veteran

What about excessive network usage?
If it’s felt that any Be member’s Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member’s services.

So, if we think you're using your spangly fast connection 'too much' we'll disconnect you.
How much is too much?  The neverending question...
Also, if they suspect you're using your connection for anything illegal (eg, downloading torrents of movies etc) then they can disconnect you.
No thanks - I'd rather the provider was clear and up-front about it.
B.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yep I totally agree Barry, it's always disconcerting when an ISP isn't up-front, especially on the subject of how much is too much. If they don't say, then it's usually not very high so they can catch people out and charge them over-usage charges.
ed
Grafter

Tlesov, a staff member said, "our service is truly unlimited" and some of the users have said they download 100Gb+ without warning.
Ianwild
Grafter

Well, we have customers who do in excess of 100GB without warning too (Most of it overnight when our network is quiet fortunately!).
By my calculation, an Unlimited 24Mbps connection is capable of 7.78 TB/m, which is rather a lot more. Ift won;t take many people who believe that it is 'truly unlimited' doing that before something changes imo.
Ian