cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning over anti-virus cold-calls to UK internet users

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Warning over anti-virus cold-calls to UK internet users

Internet users are being warned about cold-callers who offer to fix viruses but then install software to steal personal information.
Campaign group Get Safe Online said a quarter of people it had questioned had received such calls, many suspected to have been from organised crime gangs.

Source...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11754487
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Warning over anti-virus cold-calls to UK internet users

My grandson, 14 yrs old, got one of these calls last week.... fortunately he was aware of the scam, and did not respond as the caller intended....
If you do receive a call, saying your "windows computer" has a virus.... play along with them for a while, but do not touch your computer... if the caller starts to get impatient with you,... say something like.... Oh, sorry, I have just pulled out a lead... just a minute I`ll put it back ................................................................................(put the phone down somewhere quiet..... then leave it.  )... it will cost them a fortune while they hang on, waiting for you to come back... and hopefully , after a short while, the line will be dead,,.... and your number will be erased from their database as being "too savvy" to con...! ! ..
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

These cold calls are very prevalent in my area; I've been getting about one a week for the last few weeks.  However my impression is that their main intent is to convince you they have cured a non-existent problem then charge you £200 for a "service contract".
The actual BBC article quoted conflates two completely separate and different scams.  But in either case, why steal your personal information if they can trick you into paying them "voluntarily"?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Tricking In this form Is kind of stealing Isn't It? Anyhoo good advice from Shutter, I know a few Pn member's have been tricked with this sort of thing so It does not hurt to try my best effort to remember and warn people.
Malicious ‘Anti-Virus software’ 1 in 4 UK web users targeted via cold calls
• 1 in 4 UK web users targeted via cold calls
• Wolf in sheep’s clothing – AV software is malware in disguise
• 80% UK web users unaware of scam
• Latest cases indicate gangs are making millions

Get Safe Online....http://www.getsafeonline.org/
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I've only had two of these calls;
The first time I strung them along along the lines of shutter. The second I just told the caller that this scam is well known then suggested he go away and make love or words to that effect.
Both calls came up as international and both had Indian accents.
The second time I was told that they had been contacted by my ISP as there was too much spam eminating from my PC. He then asked who my ISP was. I told him he should know that if he had contact from them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

From the BBC article:
This is big business, and it's preying on people's fears of the internet

The same could be said about the genuine antivirus software business.  Tongue
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Mav
Both calls came up as international

I let my answering machine take those calls. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine