Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning about Android Kit Kat 4.4.2

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Warning about Android Kit Kat 4.4.2

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but I suppose Android comes under Linux as much as any other so here goes.
3 days ago I purchased a new Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 and having got it home set everything up following the instructions. During the set up the unit received 2 OTA (over the air) updates to the Android firmware, from 4.2.2 to 4.3 then 4.4.2 Kit Kat, so far all was well.
Today I received a 32 Gig Micro SD card and installed it in the Vega, it was at this point everything started to fall apart. App2SD could not find the card and both of my file managers were unable to copy/paste or move files to the new card.
After some research on the web I finally found that Google has decreed that all external storage should be ‘read only’ and not writeable by Android effectually ‘killing’ any external SD card.
It seems this ‘mandate’ has been implemented as from Kit Kat and is causing much consternation among both phone and tablet users who have upgraded to this version.
You can still write to the card if you can connect the device to a laptop or pc as a ‘media’ device or remove the card and copy files when directly plugged in to either of the above but all such files when the card is re-inserted will be ‘read only’ so be warned.
You can get over the above by ‘rooting’ your machine and running a script but this may invalidate the warranty.

Regards P.
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Warning about Android Kit Kat 4.4.2

More detail here
It seems that Google have made changes that break current apps and workarounds since Honeycomb.  External storage is not a 'no-no' as such but the permissions to write to external storage have been tightened up and when apps are removed associated storage can be wiped.
Not good...
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The write to sdcard issue has been around for a lot longer than Kit Kat.
To fix it you need root access to modify the build.prop.
The ap2sd fail has been around since at least 4.2.1 as that is what I have in my latest tablet that cannot do this. I am working on workarounds at the moment.
kenneth50
Grafter

Quote from: Pendragon
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but I suppose Android comes under Linux as much as any other so here goes.
3 days ago I purchased a new Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 and having got it home set everything up following the instructions. During the set up the unit received 2 OTA (over the air) updates to the Android firmware, from 4.2.2 to 4.3 then 4.4.2 Kit Kat, so far all was well.
Today I received a 32 Gig Micro SD card and installed it in the Vega, it was at this point everything started to fall apart. App2SD could not find the card and both of my file managers were unable to copy/paste or move files to the new card.
After some research on the web I finally found that Google has decreed that all external storage should be ‘read only’ and not writeable by Android effectually ‘killing’ any external SD card.
It seems this ‘mandate’ has been implemented as from Kit Kat and is causing much consternation among both phone and tablet users who have upgraded to this version.
You can still write to the card if you can connect the device to a laptop or pc as a ‘media’ device or remove the card and copy files when directly plugged in to either of the above but all such files when the card is re-inserted will be ‘read only’ so be warned.
You can get over the above by ‘rooting’ your machine and running a script but this may invalidate the warranty.

Regards P.

There is a SD-Card fix that can be flashed via a CWM recovery.
I have the same device as yourself and i am running 4.4.2-2.3 and yes the SDCard is not writeable but after the fix it is.
I have the files you'll need and know how to do this so i can guide you to doing whats required.
However to do this you need to unlock the bootloader (which will void any warranty with the device), but with this downside is a upside. If you want to go back to 4.3 you can do without issues with a unlocked bootloader as you can fastboot flash back the 4.3 images.
Before anything can be done you need ADB and Fastboot drivers installed to which i even have the signed drivers for that from Nvidia whom makes the Device as Advent only sells them and has their white label on the device.
If you need a hand give me a shout!
MarcLinux
Dabbler

remember Cyanognmod 11 Kitkat is very good - and does away with many Google imposed nonsenses like that ..
kenneth50
Grafter

For the tegra note 7 there is no CM11 or even CM12 due to Nvidia's sources being less then complete. I should know i have tried to compile CM11 without success. Others have also tried and have had driver issues with Sound and Wifi