cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wants to switch from Virgin to Plusnet but BT line not up to it

geoffd
Grafter

Wants to switch from Virgin to Plusnet but BT line not up to it

I have a friend who moved to Virgin some time ago but is unhappy with the costs and would like to move to Plusnet. However the reason she moved to Virgin was because she was unhappy with her broadband (from a different supplier) which was mainly down to her BT line. The cabling within the house was very dated and had an old main socket in the hallway, very inconvenient for broadband. There may also have been problems with the line from the premises back to the cabinet because I measured the broadband speed in Kbps not Mbps when the line stayed up long enough to do a test.
Obviously there is no point moving to Plusnet with the BT line as it is so what is the process for getting the line sorted out? Is it something you organise for a new customer and what is the likely cost?
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Wants to switch from Virgin to Plusnet but BT line not up to it

Hi there and apologies from us in the delay to answering this (Hope it's not too late!)
This is a difficult one to answer as it depends on the merits of the issue, one way we could look at this is to get the line moved across then raise a fault. However raising a fault depends on the nature of any issues identified with the line, I will state that I'd be happy to take ownership of looking after that for them if they decide to make the move.
Otherwise a more costly option might be to look at installing a new line.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
geoffd
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Adam. The internal wiring definitely needs some attention, it is antique. The old flimsy gray 4 wire cable and an old BT surface mounted master socket that is in the wrong place. How do you get BT to rewire that and what is the likely cost? Can you ask for the main socket to be moved? Is that a way of getting the internal wiring sorted?
Also what is the cost of a new line?
Sorry for all the questions but there is no way she would move back to the prospect of the old broadband problems.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A new line costs £49.99 (see Price Guide - Connection charges for Plusnet Talk Services halfway down the page).
However is old external wiring still connected to the pole (or even beyond)? Based on information you posted a new line from premises to cabinet would seem essential.
David
geoffd
Grafter

Thanks for pointing out the Price Guide, not something I have come across when browsing the site.
A new line would be a bargain at £49.99 but I presume it only applies to brand new customers and not someone who has or has had a BT line before. I have since seen on BT forums that a 'Lift and Shift' of the master socket would cost £130. I can't spot anything similar in the Plusnet Price Guide so I assume that would have to be done through BT. I have also seen that you are not allowed to do it yourself (is that true?) but that you can get an independent telephone engineer in to do it.
James
Grafter

Hi Geoff,
The £49.99 is for an installation of a new line.  It doesn't matter if you are a new customer or not.
geoffd
Grafter

Thanks James. If I have understood this correctly this would appear to be an inexpensive way for anyone to get old or sub-standard cabling remedied or a master socket moved!
Can I just clarify my understanding. So my friend could order a Broadband and Phone package online. Is there an option to request a new line during the order process or is it done another way?
Presumably you would request a BT engineer to turn up to install the new line. He turns up to find a line already there. Will he install a brand new master socket in a different place than the old one and run fresh cable back to the junction box that is on the end of the cable from the telegraph pole?
Estragon
Rising Star

Are you talking Plusnet ADSL2+, or Plusnet Fibre?
If it's fibre and the existing socket is not an NTE5 then a new NTE5 master will be fitted for free, and the Home Wiring Solution is also free and allows the master to be moved up to 30 metres.
geoffd
Grafter

Thanks Estragon, a good thought! I guess if it was fibre then it does at least mean an engineer has to attend and he would have to do something about the internal wiring if it really wasn't up to the job. My experience though when I got fibre is that the engineer appeared to do nothing more than check that the modem connected then it was job done. I am getting 10Mb less than my estimated speed and I know others on the forum are getting much worse and unless there is an actual fault on the line then you get what you get.
I will look if the Home Wiring Solution is a viable option next time I visit my friend. I know that an engineer will only run it along skirtings and door frames so I will see what the route is like and if my friend would be happy with it.
I think she would be happier with a new line for £49.99 if that option is available but this does seem like a good plan B.
geoffd
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
The £49.99 is for an installation of a new line.  It doesn't matter if you are a new customer or not.

Back in December I received the above and asked for clarification. If my friend were to order a Broadband and Phone package online, is there some way to request a new line as part of that process or is it done some other way? And could she request a new line even though she has previously had a BT line?
Presumably you would request a BT engineer to turn up to install the new line. When he turns up and finds a line already there, will he still install a brand new master socket in a different place than the old one and run fresh cable back to the junction box that is on the end of the cable from the telegraph pole?
Could someone from Plusnet please clarify?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've just had a new line installed as the master socket for my old (dormant) line is now inaccessible.
The new master socket was installed where I specified (under the stairs) but...
1.  Being a new line, BTOR do not connect any extension wiring that you may have running from your old line.
2.  The choice of cabling to the pole etc is down to the engineer.  Your old line may be disconnected and re-routed to the new master location.
HTH
geoffd
Grafter

Thanks. That is very helpful. It certainly seems the best option and surprisingly inexpensive compared with the £130 I have seen quoted elsewhere just to move a master socket. I thought there had to be a catch but it appears not.