cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to know about ADSL2+

Not applicable

Wanting to know about ADSL2+

I have posted about this on PUG forum and had one response but would like more opinions please.
My exchange has just been upgraded and following a ticket enquiry the reply came and they have put me on the list to be switched over within the next 7 to 10 days.
Now I am panicking because my connection is very stable and am OK with the speed (averages about 5Mb). 
Am wondering whether to bother - nadger thinks there won't be much difference and not worth it.  Also, if not happy, can you go back?
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Wanting to know about ADSL2+

You shouldn't notice much difference - I get around 5Mb too - and I was on the ADSL2+ trial.
Initially I got slightly better speeds, which have dropped a little bit, but I realised I was spending too much time trying to get the ultimate last bps.
I bet you would be pushed to detect a change from 5Mbps to 4.5Mbps without a speedtester.
I think you won't lose and might gain (a bit) after any re-training has finished.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Depends how close you are to your local exchange, I'm real close to mine and here Is my results, Double what I had before I switched over and I'm very very pleased with It.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Not applicable

I am approximately one mile from my exchange.  From what has been said I might cancel and leave things be. As they say, 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'.
I can't be doing with hassle.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

me too - but going by the attenuation figures, I should be on double my download speed - but I'm not.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
Depends how close you are to your local exchange, I'm real close to mine and here Is my results, Double what I had before I switched over and I'm very very pleased with It.

Sorry but in this instance your post is not that helpful in answering Poppy question. For you to double your speed your connection was already syncing at the maximum on MaxDSL. For connections not syncing at the maximum the benefits on ADSL2+ is less. The rule of thumb is if the sync rate is around the 3 to 4mbps on MaxDSL then the sync rate will not change on ADSL2+. On sync rates of 5mbps they may be a speed improvement on ADSL2+.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

True, but a mile isn't necessarily that bad - poppy, your line profile on our side is currently at 6.5Mb and you're in sync at 7617 (interleaving maybe?) with an SNR of 6dB. Based on the graph at wikipedia here you should be looking at similar speeds to those SteveM is seeing - possibly not that high but based on that I'd be very surprised if you didn't see a significant increase in speed.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@itsme, I will try and remember that.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Not applicable

Thank you for coming in on this Matt, and for looking at the figures which are exactly right and don't waver much at all.  I have always been very lucky with my broadband connection but if  you think that it is worth it then I will leave the question open and see what happens.