Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted..... Simple Graph Plotting - for FREE -

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Wanted..... Simple Graph Plotting - for FREE -

I take my wife`s blood pressure and plot it on a simple home made graph..... which is useful to the Dr. when she visits ....
Over time, the hand drawn squares have disintegrated themselves.. and ... although the "general line" of the plot is quite useful, it is not entirely accurately plotted....
Does anyone know a simple, basic graph plotting software..... I need to be able to input the three seperate readings..... SYS..... DIA... and  Pulse... possibly twice daily, ..
If the prog can produce "bar graph" graphics from the simple line plot, then that would be a bonus.... but no other fancy result plotting is needed....
I do not want an "on=line" graph... and I would like to be able to print it... either weekly or monthly or both !....
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Wanted..... Simple Graph Plotting - for FREE -

use excel or if you don't have it or you could get libre office for free https://help.libreoffice.org/Chart/Charts_in
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... OK... got Open Office.... and just downloaded and installed Libre Office.....
According to your link.... I should have a "chart wizard" somwehere.... but can`t find how to get a chart up on screen ..... Help please..... ?
EDIT EDIT EDIT

according to this.......https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Inserting_Charts

A chart cannot be a chart on its own... it has to be part of a Document... or Spreadsheet... and it seems the contents of the chart have to be in the Document or Spreadsheet before the chart can be created... which is a long way of going around making a graph....
( or am I going off on the wrong direction? )

IanSn
Rising Star

First add data, then make chart.
In a blank spreadsheet, add the data you need - presumably Date and Readings - in columns.
Select the data you have and use the chart wizard - options for lines or blocks, etc. Use a simple line chart.
You will have to extend the chart's range as you add data to the sheet. (Or select an area as large as you think you'll need first, beyond your initial data.)
You may need to have a couple of goes at this till you get what you want/prefer.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm..... yeah... thought so.... too much effort needed.... looks like I shall have to continue with my pencil drawings of graph type layout...  only takes a couple of minutes to make up... and lasts for 2 weeks... then have a paper record for the Doc, or any one else, if needed... but thought I could do the same thing on the computer, and then print out a nice copy when needed.
Meanwhile... looking for printable graph paper suitable....
Thanks for guidance, guys... but not looking good !....
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: shutter
.... too much effort needed.... 

It really isn't hard.  You order your data into four columns with the date and time in the first column then the other three parameters; wave a magic wand and a chart appears.  Okay there is some learning involved if you are not familiar with spreadsheets but they are such powerful tools you really ought to learn. 
IanSn
Rising Star

spreadsheets are fun, try it once and you'll probably get hooked once you get what's going on there.
But paper is fine, too.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the encouragement guys !.... I am familiar with spreadsheets.... in fact... I made one up to choose my next car..... 10 years ago..... that is how I found my Skoda Fabia 1.9 diesel, to be the best car for me,... comparing like for like with 5 other choices, ....
Have found this http://www.worksheetworks.com/miscellanea/graph-paper/standard.html
Which enables me to print out a grid like a graph, most suitable to my needs.... Each A4 page will give me 2 x A5 sheets, covering 21 days at a time, which will be well adequate for record keeping and analysis by Medical Staff, when/if required....
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

It's not free but some of the latest Omron GP machines come with software which  allows you to print out a graph showing your BP over a month along with your pulse rate, the graph can include morning  & evening  BP,
The Omron stores the information for up to two people and then it can be printed via your computer.
I Often take a copy along to my GP as I'm my opinion it is more accurate that that taken at the health centre, equally a single reading is virtually useless compared to a months readings taken first thing am and last thing pm over a period of one month,
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

Now got Open Office 4 and Libre Office installed.........
Do I need both?  or does Libre Office supercede Open Office ?
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: shutter
Do I need both?  or does Libre Office supercede Open Office ?

You only need one of them - Libre Office started off as a fork from Open Office when some developers from OO felt that not enough resources were being put into the product and decided to do their own thing. They are very similar.
IanSn
Rising Star

I've got, and use both. (Also have 'NeoOffice' for Mac.) All basically the same.
However, occasionally one will screw up a Word doc when the other opens it fine, etc.
If you use database there is certainly something different between the two - I argued with some tables, etc., for ages in OpenOffice and the 'Base' prog was just messing it up. Couldn't figure it out. Then tried exact same db file in Libre, hey presto, it worked fine...
So, as they're free, keep 'em both!