Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want your Ubuntu to look like W7?

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

See <a href="http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/windows-7-theme-for-ubuntu.html">here</a>  Crazy
14 REPLIES 14
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: Want your Ubuntu to look like W7?

Why?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do they do one to look like this
artificer
Grafter

i want my distribution to look like pclinuxos.  i have no hankering to see what any windows os looks like beyond xp, the last version i used.
scootie
Grafter

might be useful for those wanting to make the switch to linux but all so want a gentle switch over exprince.
my gf dosent touch linux as she dosent understand the menu layouts, so may be i might use this skin and see how she gets on with linux then
Santiago
Grafter

No
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Santiago,
As you say, normally , No why would I. However I can think of a possible use, I have a 80-odd year old relative who is currently stuggling with XP's performance on an ageing system. She only uses it for browsing(Firefox), email(Thunderbird) and a bit of word processing and printing but its SLOOOW!. We could of course upgrade the hardware but I'm pretty sure it would run Ubuntu just fine!. Having the ability to make her desktop look like Windows would be useful and make  any transition a lot easier I guess. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

In 10.04 the default is for the control buttons (minimize, maximize/restore/close) on each Window to be on the left. (Unless there is any change between the beta releases and the final launch) This, I have read, is the way things are done on MACs.  I wanted Ubuntu to look like Windows to the extent of having them on the right so I chose an alternative theme.
Santiago
Grafter

@MisterWThank you for correcting me
I don't see the point of having one OS look like another however it may be useful for some people.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Santiago
I don't see the point of having one OS look like another however

My thoughts exactly, why would I want my lovely Mint OS to look like a refugee from the 80's?  Shocked  Grin
But to make some people feel at home maybe it would be. I did play with a skin for XP to make it Vista like for a while before I dropped it completely (ok 99% of the time) complete with the side bar gadgets (TOTAL waste of SPACE they are!) Why have a large monitor (or a small screen) and REDUCE your screen estate? Bit like icons on the desktop, I have THREE icons on my desktop, along with a app bar at the bottom (AWN on one machine Cairo Dock on the other)
That along with multiple desktops ... I don't think I could switch back now not without a LOT of support  Grin (When I see desktops COVERED in icons I have to ask how do you find anything?)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I dont see the point of this either, Okay it may help newbies but my reason for dabbling with ubunu,linux. in the first place was because my xp pro was past its sell by date and i wanted change and at the time linux gave me that Smiley
Edit, Actually one day when i turn back to linux i hope it will still be able to give me the "Change" and i really hope it does not go down the road of trying to imitate windows, Anyway as linux is "our" operating system i dont think that would ever happen( Hopefully)
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
(AWN on one machine Cairo Dock on the other)
I tried AWN but didn't like it. I will look at Cairo though.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand#New%20GtkThemes
I'd like to know why "Deleted Items" appears to be renamed "Trash" Sad

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

my considered opinion is that you are all misunderestimating (sic) the people you install linux for.  presumably you are acting as their support system, so you can fix any issues that arise.  the few people i have converted to pclinuxos appreciate that it looks different.  their only gripe is that they have to sign in.  that they soon get used to and the lack of squeals for help assures me that they have grasped the rudiments.  after a while they are pleased that it looks different from windows.  they begin to feel special and a little bit like rebels.
for those users who surf a bit, email a bit, play music, watch videos and type a few documents, almost any of the current crop of linux distributions would suit.
my neighbour has been using linux for three years now and the only time we talk about his system is when a new edition arrives.  the last one he installed by himself.  he likes that it looks different.  he also likes that it's free and has saved him from having to upgrade his hardware.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

they begin to feel special and a little bit like rebels.

Using Linux is a bit like have a motorbike you feel a bit naughty, I wonder how many Linux users on here are having a mid life crisis  Grin
I can see the point of having Ubuntu mirroring Windows for reasons I quote from another post I made.
I will persevere though in dual boot for now and eventually get baby walked through the procedure for a time when I will want to do it for real, I would have liked to have went totally Linux on my desktop but as you say the beauty is it will dual boot or at least until I can get all the like for like type buttons in the task bar and menus to mirror windows for my daughters sake. I can just picture her at school clicking in the wrong corners or not finding something where it was before
and the teachers thinking she's no picking it up so don't want to be selfish that way. There is an I.T guy goes to the school so I guess he would be impressed if she said she was more used to Linux  Grin not sure about the teachers though.

Unfortunately world domination is such with M$ that education and their limited resources learn kids from a very young age to get familiar with the most current m$ system they can afford based on the fact that when they left school chances are they are going to be working somewhere with a virtually totally M$ environment , fair enough that I agree with how many business run Linux (except mine).
Making a Linux system mirror a windows setup is beneficial for us mid life crisis folk, we can have the system we know is better on our machines while our kids can have the same things has their friends at school best of both worlds. Cool
Then when they get older and realise they can do different stuff than their friends and have a Linux system they can be cooler than them when they go through the "being different" phase.  Grin
I take it you can just have that look per user and if on a different login could have the usual Ubuntu desktop?