Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna buy a router !

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Wanna buy a router !

No,... not selling... I ... wanna buy a router.. !

Haven`t got a clue as to what there is... what does what... etc...so looking for some guidance.

Don`t need a super fast thing... just ordinary ADSL2... not going to go the fibre route... so very basic.

ADSL2 speed for me is about 6megs... and does what I want... plays you tube vids.... and streams German TV live from Germany via VPN..

i don`t do gaming... either...

I would like to be able to access it and find out about how the line is working.. i.e use ROUTERSTATS with it..( can`t do that with Plusnet router )... don`t want to have to "hack it"... just plug and play.... as the saying goes.

also got to be as cheap as possible, cos I`m an o.a.p. !

thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Wanna buy a router !

Which arenot compatible with RouterStats, @Gel .

@shutter  RS has not been updated for quite a while, but if you have a look at http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm , this should help - the information is quite comprehensive. I can't/won't reccomend any particular piece of equipment, though - not enough experience.😉

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I love my Technicolor TG589vac. I got one as a freebie when with SSE and have bought another as back up when this one dies. I believe it can work with ADSL, but not so sure about routerstats as have never tried. About £20 on the bay when they come up.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@jab1 There is a version that will work with Plusnet's Hub One - RouterStatsHub.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Browni Thanks for that - I didn't know about it as I haven't read the developers website for a looong time - no need as I have had RS running for ages.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi guys! 

Thanks for the input... forgot to add, in my original post... must not be "locked" to any ISP...

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I suppose it does depend on how far forward you are looking, what your current costs are and how far you live from a cabinet @shutter but to write off fibre I think is a mistake. I'd certainly rank as an OAP but it doesn't stop me utilising fibre as much as possible (I don't do gaming either) i.e. when I went over to fibre it was about £5 a month more. With ADSL, I was lucky to get 2Mb with a download cap (can't recall how big it was), fibre comes in at over 70Mb, unlimited. Bit of a no brainer really. And of course there is the push to get the copper based lines done away with - supposedly by 2025. Whether the time line ever gets met, who knows. If you are actually shelling out hard cash to buy a router, I would get a router that is compatable with anything the world is liable to throw at you. 

The Fritz!box (router/ modem in one) that came for free from my new ISP (doesn't come any cheaper) is very informative when it comes to line info, stats etc. Just a case of log in and its all there to be seen - warts and all. Beats my TP-link router hands down when it comes to such info. I'd be more inclined to look up tech sites for recommended routers. Yes, it does mean reading but it's usually the best way.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@shutter 

I've always preferred DSLstats to Routerstats - it just seems more intuitive to me.

Compatible routers are listed here .

Having used them (ADSL2+) both, I can recommend the Billion 8800NL and 7800N, rock solid and often available on eBay.

Good WiFi coverage too.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
shutter
Community Veteran

@idonno  Thanks for your input.... Can`t see ANY advantage in paying an extra £5 a month..(I am a Yorkshireman, after all ! ! ! ) ... . as my current speed is ( as mentioned ) around 6megs... and that is fast enough for what I do, or will be likely to do..

My tv is "freeview" and happy with that coming down the wire from the aerial on the chimney.. 100 channels.. 75% of them [-Censored-]. rubbish... . but we manage !...   ( I spend more time on my keyboard "doing stuff" rather than in front of the telly anyway !)

I have done a bit of research... and looking at Tp-link Router Archer C50 AC1200 Dualband  which , having the dual band wifi, should last me for a few years... ( who knows... it may outlast me  ! ! ! ) .

Browni
Aspiring Hero

The C50 is just a router, have you got a suitable modem?
shutter
Community Veteran

@Browni  does this cover it ? ? ?

TP LINK DETAILS.jpg

Browni
Aspiring Hero

No, you would need a separate modem to use that router with Plusnet.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Browni  Thanks for the reply....  actually,   wanting it for another ISP... not PN ! .

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It does not matter which ISP, that is a cable router - it does not have a built in modem.

As such tere would be no way to get Router or DSL stats from it.

You need to pick a Router or DSL stats compatible device.