Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMP not working.

FIXED
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

WMP not working.

For the last couple of months Windows Media Player has not worked. Each time I try to use it, I get the message NOT RESPONDING and it closes. I have tried the usual tricks like disable/enable etc but nothing doing. Can anyone recommend a good (free) alternative that also rips? I'm running Win 7 x64bit.

Thanks for any replies. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
16 REPLIES 16
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: WMP not working.

Fix

You could try VLC Player.

I have had occasional issues with WMP but I have found that killing audiodg.exe then running it again has solved them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

At one time I had a problem with my nVidia graphics card drivers.  If I loaded the latest driver then Windows Media Player would start, crash, start again and then run normally.  If i used the Microsoft version of the drivers that did not happen and I had no problems.  So my point is that the problem may be to do with the way that Windows Media Player interacts with your graphics processor and thus adjustments to that could potentially fix it.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@ReedRichards

I have tried changing the graphics but no matter where I set it, all I get is the small spinny thing that just sits there. Thanks for the suggestion though.  Thumbs_Up

@Mav

I have downloaded VLC, but looking through the Audio it doesn't rip music files. In WMP I could rip my tracks to mp3, but it seems VLC doesn't do that. I downloaded FreeRipMP3 to get round that problem. I know it sounds petty but if possible I like to use just 1 prog to get the job done, not 2 or 3 (personal choice). Have to admit though, VLC works and plays well.  Cheesy

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pete11 - I know you wanted a free install but if you are willing to pay then may I suggest dbPowerAmp from Illustrate, and this will do a lot more than rip your CDs. I use the Mac version and so far it's not disappointed me. There's a free trial so it may be worth a download to try it.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into that prog. The reason I want to rip my cd's is I'm thinking of putting my old internet radio station back up but need to get some tracks onto the lappy first.  Cool_smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like an interesting idea, but don’t you need to have a Licence to do that, and pay a fee for each track you play? Also, what sort of music do you play on it?

Regardless of that once your tracks are ripped and stored on a suitable device you can access them from virtually any other device or location, so time well spent.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@Pete11 wrote:

@ReedRichards

I have tried changing the graphics but no matter where I set it, all I get is the small spinny thing that just sits there. Thanks for the suggestion though.  Thumbs_Up

You could try disabling the graphics processor in Device Manager.  You might think that this would give you no graphics at all but actually it just disables the higher functions so you get basic graphics.  But I am assuming that you are using WMP for media with graphics content; if you are just playing audio then I cannot see that it's going to help.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Anonymous

It's played directly from my laptop using a couple of bits of software which in turn is linked to an outside server. The radio station is created on the server and a reference (the radio stations name) is given so that others can listen in. Now, as for a licence, In one way you might be correct as it may be classed as 'Public Performance' (like a DJ) where any member of 'joe public' can go and listen...but the difference being is that with internet radio, the only people that can listen in are the people you give the station name to, so the question is, is it public performance?..or private listening?, If the latter then no licence is required.  Thumbs_Up

Here's a prog that I use..

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetcast/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pete11, It appears that you do need a PPL Licence if you play music in your broadcasts. But at 211 +VAT for a year it may be worth it, I guess it would depend on how many listeners you had.

http://www.ppluk.com/I-Play-Music/Radio-Broadcasting/Radio-types/Online-radio-and-services/

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Yep, just looked at that, and a few more sites. Prices vary but one keeps popping up, Podcast Licence...£50 + VAT.  Thumbs_Up

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even better @Pete11, and at about a £1 a week well worth the money to keep you on the right side of the law. Smiley

Mav
Fixes: 514

Pete11 wrote:

@Mav

I have downloaded VLC, but looking through the Audio it doesn't rip music files. In WMP I could rip my tracks to mp3, but it seems VLC doesn't do that. I downloaded FreeRipMP3 to get round that problem. I know it sounds petty but if possible I like to use just 1 prog to get the job done, not 2 or 3 (personal choice). Have to admit though, VLC works and plays well.  Cheesy

@Pete11

There's some help on the VLC forum how to batch rip from CD.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Mav

Thanks, I'll take a look.  Thumbs_Up

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Two free progs that can convert videos to other formats....

AnyVideoConverter  ( AVC )

and

aTubeCatcher.

The latter has a neat "quick service" opening screen... and specifically says " Convert Video to MP3" 

Drag and drop the files, or load them from folder locations on both progs.