cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDDM

PitchBlack
Grafter

WDDM

This might sound like a pretty stupid question, but it has been bugging me for years.
Every time I do a fresh install of Windows, I chose notify me, but let me chose whether to download and install updates. Then I see the option of the "NVidia graphics adapter WDDM" for my graphics card. I have never installed this as I just install the latest Nvidia driver off the Nvidia website.
I have googled this numerous times but have never found an answer whether I should install both the WDDM and the latest NVidia driver, or just the latest NVidia driver.
Does the WDDM help the gfx card be more compatible with windows, or am I right in thinking I do not need it.

8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: WDDM

My motherboard has an Nvidia graphics chip.  If I use the Nvidia graphics driver that was current when my motherboard was new (about 5 years ago) or any subsequent Nvidia driver then Windows Media Player is prone to crash when playing Videos (it crashes on the first attempt but not subsequently with that video at that time).  But if I just use the driver offered through Windows Update then I get perfect stability and no crashes.  Therefore on the basis of my experience:

• No, you only need one driver or the other.

• Yes, the WDDM driver does offer greater compatibility with Windows.

PitchBlack
Grafter

Thanks ReedRichards, 
So if I understand it correctly, the WDDM is just windows generic drivers for my gfx card and if I installed the WDDM, and then I installed the latest NVidia drivers over the top of the WDDM, the NVidia drivers would just uninstall the WDDM. The part that was bugging me was that I thought both drivers might have been needed, and because I only ever installed the NVidia drivers, then my computer was not benefitting from the WDDM also.
Next time I format, I will install the WDDM 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 instead of the nvidia drivers and see how my games run. Probably not be much difference.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Usually the windows default drivers are basic at best, so apart from drivers for network cards, it's always best to use the specific driver for your pc hardware if there is one.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

... except when, as in my case, they don't work properly.
PitchBlack
Grafter

I bought a razer Deathadder 3.5g gaming mouse a year ago, I installed the razer drivers off the razer website and then when I shut down my computer, it either took 5 to 10 minutes to shut down, or it would refuse to shut down. Nothing I could do apart from holding the on / off button for 10 seconds to shut it down.
I ended up using the windows drivers, which was a pain as I couldn't use the mouse to its full potential. So I agree the windows drivers are basic, but unfortunately they have to be used for dodgy hardware and dodgy software from companies. I will never buy razer stuff again. They also have a free comms software for gamers, same thing it just stuffs up my computer when using it.
chrcoluk
Grafter

I suggest hiding any driver updates in windows update, in my opinion microsoft shouldnt be pushing drivers on there under critical updates.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@PB
the chances are you had the poling rate set above 125Hz, I found putting back to the default fixes the error (it's normally only a problem with pcie/usb bus conflicts) as it stops the shared bus from becoming saturated with polling requests .....
also I tend ot install the basic windows drivers and then the specific device drivers, for my gaming rig I have installed all the hardware with the windows drivers and then installed all the manufacturers drivers and tend not to get to many problems from that (of course I still have to fiddle with certain game .ini files to make them stable but there badly coded console ports in the main)
as to the op's question, theres no danger normally in having both sets of drivers installed, windows will use the ones it requires for the different programs, and that way you also don't loose the enhanced functions from the specific manufacturers stuff, a great example would be Windows Display Driver (an integral part of windows) that works in tandem with things like NVidia or AMD drivers instead of needing special drivers for your display(s)......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PitchBlack
Grafter

Thanks all for your replies and advice,
nano,  you are right about the polling rate, I have it at either 500 or 1000, at the moment I have it at 1000 on my G400, the strange thing is I gave my Nephew my old comp and mouse, MX518, and when I had it I had the 4 polling rates to chose from, now he has it with the new Logitech software, he only has 125 showing. I will try the razer again and set the polling rate down to 125 and use the razer software, but I might wait until I am ready to format my computer next.