Did you mean: 

WANTED - new 10 inch display LAPTOP

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

WANTED - new 10 inch display LAPTOP

Don`t want a tablet,  Don`t want ANDROID, 

Do want one that I can swap the Hard Drive easily, for a larger capacity , or maybe SSD.

Can you swap the HDD in a Chromebook ?  I want to use LINUX MINT, or ZORIN, so need the flexibility of Swapping HDD`s.

Must be able to use a wired, mouse on USB, plus availability of other USB slots for other externals

Any suggestions..for what make and/or model

Price  up to about £200, but the lower price the better, obvs ! ! ! ..

15 REPLIES 15
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: WANTED - new 10 inch display LAPTOP

You'll not be wanting a Chromebook then, they run a proprietary OS and really don't suit your needs.

Best option I think would be an auction site and see what's available for your budget.

Edit :- Does it have to be that small @shutter?

If not and you're happy to run on power only, as the battery's kaput, I'll send you, for the cost of postage, an ASUS 17" Laptop with 32GB RAM a 512 GB SSD and a 2TB SSD and a 4 Core i7 2.6GHz Processor.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook ... It`s to replace my old faithful 10inch Hannspree laptop... Unfortunately, I don`t think they make a 10" model any more.

Thanks for the offer of the 17"... just a tad too big....

I use the small one as "on the side" to do stuff, While I`m on my main laptop.  but I originally got it for working my morse program in the car  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwblm3NKAg

So, Yes... I would want one "that small"  to replace it.. ( save me buying a bigger bag, too ! )

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Fair enough @shutter I thought I'd offer as it's only collecting dust, at least you'd have a use for it.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook  sent you a PM.

Mook
Seasoned Champion

To which I have replied.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter I use to have a 10" Acer Aspire. Lovely machine, travelled the Far East with it. I don't think they make them new now but you might find one 2nd hand. Built like a tank.

But as I've settled down a bit, I bought a mini computer like this a couple of years ago and coupled it up to a 7" display. The mini computer might be small (less than 150mm square) but is relatively fast. I've got a 128Gb SSD card in it. Linux would probably run much faster than the W10 I'm using. Just a thought. 😀

Edit, forgot to mention I've actually got it fixed to the inside of the computer desk (vertically), with the power on button easily available. Means more space on the desk.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro

@shutter wrote:

Can you swap the HDD in a Chromebook ? 

Low-end / low-cost Chromebooks invariably have non-upgradeable  eMMC storage; typically 32GB.

I want to use LINUX MINT, or ZORIN, so need the flexibility of Swapping HDD`s.

ChromeOS may be based on Gentoo Linux but Google make it a PITA to replace it with another Linux distro (or OS).

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

To reinforce what others have said -- don't go on the Chromebook path.
For the new cost you can get an i3 or i5 laptop with a dencent amount or RAM and easily changed HDD.
Some while ago we (ex-coworkers) modified an old laptop with a duff screen.
The bust screen was removed and it was used with a small (12" I think) monitor to do a job. It was possible to tuck the laptop out of sight and use a small keyboard and mouse. Did the job.
Other suggestion is an HP elitedesk pc.
They are a small desktop (about 10" square and about 4" high) designed to be either on a desk or clamped to the back of a monitor. Seem to go for about £50 on ebay.
shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@Bogbody @TheRoadCrew @idonno @Mook 

OK> guys, thanks very much for your input on this thread... I have just bought this .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133676901176

ACER ASPIRE 2.png

ACER ASPIRE DESCRIPTION.png

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro

How do the specs compare with the old one?

Hope it works to your satisfaction.

shutter
Community Veteran

@TheRoadCrew 

Well, i think, being SSD for the main os...and  he has installed the PCB for SATA hard drive,  is a big improvement.  You can see the spec of the "old one"  Hannspree SN10e1 here

https://www.cnet.com/products/hannspree-hannsnote/specs/

Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

@TheRoadCrew    @Bogbody    @idonno     @Mook   

Just an update.... It arrived today... had a quick go on it... seems to be very quick, and keyboard is easy and looks unused. In fact the whole thing looks and feels brand new.

not happy with the windows or the M$ edge things that you have to go through to get it going... so will be looking at dumping windows and installing Linux Mint ....

All in all, a busy day, what with setting up my other new laptop.!...

But ... hey.. keeps me off the streets, and the brain active ! ... have a nice day y`all !  Smiley

Mook
Seasoned Champion

@shutter How are you getting on with the new Acer Switch?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook   I`ll send you an email !  .. Cheesy