Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W7 home premium V XP pro sp2

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

W7 home premium V XP pro sp2

Hi Guys
In a pickle. All of my machines over the years have been horribly noisy with the exception of a netbook i bought once. Today when at a certain supermarket i stumbled over a emachines sleek pc at an incredibly stupid price. I looked at the other half.. and she agreed to it.
So, it's here it's remarkably silent but it has W7 home premium 64bit on it and i've never even used vista. So i have some questions if that is ok with you guys?
Does it support terminal services logins like XP? (EG, can i log into it FROM another machine or is it like XP home which only lets you connect out to other machines?)
Can it support multiple users? - EG one at the machine and another logged in via RD (I found a hack which let me do this on XP pro)
Does it work with XP drivers? - Konica-Minolta only made XP drivers for my printer but I once heard that W7 has a legacy XP mode but i assume thats for Pro or enterprise editions?
Failing that, i could run a VM on there. Do i need a 32 or 64 bit to run a virtual 32bit XP?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: W7 home premium V XP pro sp2

It's a 64-bit system and drivers for older peripherals can be an issue if you only have 32-bit ones available.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I believe only the Professional and Ultimate versions support inbound Remote Desktop services.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
only the Professional and Ultimate versions support inbound Remote Desktop.

Bingo ^
But you can still RDP out. Windows 7 is leaps and bounds above Vista, and Vista is leaps and bounds above XP (awaits the hordes of crap hurled at me for that comment  🐵
It should do you well, "XP Mode" is actually a VM, but this is only available on Pro / Ultimate also.
There is nothing stopping you putting XP in a VM (VMware, etc.) and you can run either 32 or 64bit flavour.
Regards
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Thanks guys, i'll probably run a VM on it then.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!