Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W7 Arrived this morning

Mav
Fixes: 515

W7 Arrived this morning

Anyone else got theirs yet?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

49 REPLIES 49
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

W7 Arrived this morning

Well I've downloaded it from MSDN if that counts Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

W7 Arrived this morning

Is it any good?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

W7 Arrived this morning

Better than vista... but that's not saying too much I guess Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mentalist3d
Grafter

W7 Arrived this morning

I liked that last comment, made me smile Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Anyone else's 7 arrive?

My Windows 7 disc arrived this morning from PC World, in anticipation of the strike they sent them early!  Down side, I now have to back up my junk and reinstall Windows >.
dick:green End of post modified to fit in with merge mod:end
Hary
Grafter

Re: W7 Arrived this morning

Mine arrived from Currys yesterday.
Bought it as an investment, hope to earn a few bob on it in the new year.
Having said that I see you can still get it around for £43..
Mav

I'm postponing the installation of W7 until I get a good idea of the possible pitfalls, driver issues, etc. Never did touch Vista and didn't actually purchase XP till 2006. Used W2K till then after being burnt with ME  Embarrassed

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

David_W
Rising Star

If you have pretty standard hardware you shouldn't have driver issues with normal stuff, like video cards, sound cards etc. as long as its not an exotic brand of card I guess.  It's the things like web cams and stuff that usually cause an issue, and I just remembered that I didn't back up my drivers, arghh, time to go searching google for them >.<  ..... Google Chrome doesn't recognise the word google  Crazy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You mean things like NIC's and printers and sound cards.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Windows 7 RC 64 bit found and downloaded the drivers for my Audigy Sound Card, Canon Printer no problem, Epson Scanner no problem, on board NIC no problem
David_W
Rising Star

Generally Windows is good at setting up basic sound cards, printers and network cards, there are only a few sound card companies like Creative and such so it doesn't need a huge database of drivers, printers again, Windows generally finds them and with NIC's they tend to use a select few chips so drivers for them are not much of an issue.
The only item in my Device Manager with a ? is my webcam, sound, video, network etc. are all found with drivers installed, the sound being a generic driver "high definition audio device" so if I want the full functionality I can get drivers, but so far everything is working great and Windows Update is currently downloading the latest Nvidia drivers for my VGA card.
1st issue, anytime upgrade doesn't work, now I can't find out how much it would cost to upgrade to Ultimate for features I'd never use  Embarrassed
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Hary
Mine arrived from Currys yesterday.
Bought it as an investment, hope to earn a few bob on it in the new year.

That's what I'm thinking about doing too; I use a Mac and currently have the RC in a VM but I very rarely need to use it... so I'll keep my £45 copy from Amazon sealed until the RC expires, then decide whether or not to open the retail package. Apparently Microsoft intend to put W7's prices up in the new year, so I/we should be able to make a healthy profit if we do sell our copies on.
Mav

Quote from: Oldjim
... Epson Scanner no problem

How old is your scanner? Mine is circa 2000, I think and can't find any drivers on Epson's Uk site and only XP and W2K on the USA site.
Are you suggesting that M$ may have a generic 64 bit driver for it? As the scanner is still in excellent condition and does the jobs I need I am reluctant to replace it it.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Epson Perfection 3490 photo and file is TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.04A - it is the Vista 64 bit driver
From here http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?type=highlights&noteoid=86150&cookies=no#sc...