Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W10 edge closes itself

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

W10 edge closes itself

OK so my mate called me earlier to go and have a look at his PC. Couldn't get on to the net.

So after 3 hours.

Edge opens and closes after a short time <30sec. No net access. the search thing does the same.

Chrome works fine (to a point. It sometimes takes killing/reopening it a couple of time) 

Malware bytes found ~1700 things and quarantined them.

Kapersky (full version) was already installed and updated no issues reported.

Reboot no difference.

Net search says remove the edge profile and re-install it, same issue.

Reset all the net profiles to default.

Ping works fine.

So I gave up and told him to backup and restore his system backup from w8.1. The new (ish) laptop was running like a 3 legged dog anyway with W10 on it.

BUT anyone else come across this and have a fix?

12 REPLIES 12
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: W10 edge closes itself

Did your mate try performing the reset/repair options for Edge? Also safe mode will disable the addons that may be causing issues. 1700 things found in Malware Bytes certainly doesn't sound good...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-microsoft-edge-browser-to-default-settings-in-windows-10

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I went through all the reset options, including removing & reinstalling to no avail.
Tried disabling all addons as well.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

That's a shame. My inner engineer is telling me that a full reinstallation/system restore of the OS might be the only option Sad

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

That was the conclusion I came to. After reading multiple "howto" fix the problem failing. system check found nothing wrong either.
He was happier with 8.1 as it was really slow on w10. So he is going to do restore from his system backup usb and start again with 8.1.
I must admit this was a real PITA, and since this was free advice I was out of any other than blow it away and restart.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I agree with @jaread83 re full reinstallation as with that amount of malware detected I wouldn't trust even Malwarebytes (as good as it is) to fully clean the system.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Boot from a Linux distro from DVD/USB to check that Firefox is able to connect to the internet.

This will not affect any Windows system that is presently existing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Have you tried running CCleaner. It's a great programme and tries to fix most problems
HairyMcbiker
All Star

@vilerenard you forget who is the OP? Also Chrome works fine.
@Shep41 as I said I gave up after 4 hours of free help. I told him to restore and go back to 8.1 which he was happier with anyway. He was just taken in by M$'s propaganda about w10.
I have nothing to do with the laptop now. (until the next time he gets a virus)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you update to version 1703 of Windows 10 whilst running Trusteer Rapport or similar then Edge will behave as you describe.  If you uninstall Trusteer then the problem will resolve and will not recur if it is re-installed.   

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Since I have absolutely NO IDEA [-Censored-] Trusteer Rapport is, I will just ignore it.
The only updates he has ever done are normal scheduled updates, I don't know what version he WAS running.

Mods please LOCK this thread.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Before this thread gets locked: Trusteer Rapport is a piece of software that has been sold to many banks as a form of additional security for their online banking clients.  If you bank online you may be persuaded by your bank to install this software.  It is a browser add-on that is not listed amongst normal browser add-ons.  I am quite suspicious of it because as soon as you switch on your computer and connect to the internet it 'phones home' and uses quite a lot of CPU for several minutes to do this. On older less-powerful computers it can really slow down the computer for some time after the computer has been started.

Windows 10 version 1703 has been rolled-out very slowly.  On Monday I visited a client with just the same Edge problem after his computer got the 1703 update.  He was, I think, the third person I have seen with this problem. 

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/13245267/