Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W10 Sharing is doing my head in !

FIXED
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

W10 Sharing is doing my head in !

I have been running a simple Home Group for about four computers on W10 for two years with access to all in the privacy of my own home among consenting adults!  But Microsoft has other ideas !  No matter what I do, I come up against "Sharing" obstacles.  I simple want to be able to read, edit, transfer, delete, copy, paste between machines without Microsoft interfering and telling me that Brussels Health and Safety Directives do not allow it !

I have tried everything.  I have allowed "sharing" on all the folders; I have added so many permissions that I do not know what they all are !  The worst problem is with accessing the "Desktop" on a remote computer where I like to be able to dump files from one computer to the other as a temporary measure, but all I ever get is "Windows cannot access \\[Computer Name]\Desktop. You do not have permission to access \[Computer Name]\Desktop. Contact your network administrator to request access".

Stupidly, "Desktop" is a folder of "C:"  Now I can access "C:\" and all other sub-folders in "C:\" but never "C:\/Users/ All Users/Desktop" !  Even though I have granted all the permissions and sharing until I am blue in the face !

Is there any simple way that I can turn all this unnecessary security off ?   I am always being asked "You need Administrator  Rights to do ...." even though I am an Administrator, but then when I proceed to ignore the warning, W10 lets me do whatever I am trying to do !  So why warn me ?  Ugh!  It just wastes time.

So can anyone advise me what to do to turn all this nonsense off ?  I would be most grateful.

Roll on Brexit !

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: W10 Sharing is doing my head in !

Fix

No problem here with Win 10 Pro

After sharing the folder click on advanced sharing then add everyone with full permissions

Note that in my case it  is under user/jim as there isn't a desktop for all users

shermans
Pro

Many thanks.  That has fixed most of it - 95%.  But I still get problems with files that I do not really use like "Users".  But there is so much bloatware on W10 - Windows 95 was so much more user friendly !  I just want to keep things simple and let anyone use the computers without passwords and all that baggage.  I keep nothing sensitive on my computers and I really do not care if someone hacks in and steals all my utility bills !  If I get attacked, then I just revert to the system back-up and reload data from my back-up storage.

I am really grateful for the help.

shermans
Pro

This solution was all working well until I tried to apply "everyone" with full control to C:\users.  Then I get the message "An error occurred when applying security information to : C:\users.  Failed to enumerate objects in the container.  Access denied".

What does this mean ?  And can't I give permission, for instance, to place something on a networked computer on the Desktop which is found in C:\users\desktop ?

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

are you using win10 or win10 pro ? 

if you cant provide the permission in a normal desktop have you tried booting into safe mode and then editing the permissions on the folder ? 

something dont work the same in the non pro versions of the operating system /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shermans
Pro

I'm on bog standard Win 10.  This problem exists only on my desktop pc.  I can change the permissions on the laptop which is also running the same version of W10.

I still wonder what the garbage text means about "containers" etc. is meant to mean  !!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@shermans wrote:

And can't I give permission, for instance, to place something on a networked computer on the Desktop which is found in C:\users\desktop ?

Don't you mean C:\users\username\desktop ?

shermans
Pro

Yes, I did.  However, for some strange reason it is now letting me do so !  It beats me what goes on sometimes.  No mention of any "containers" now any more.