cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voyager 2110 not so secure?

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Voyager 2110 not so secure?

I've just installed a BT voyager 2110 wifi router at my rugby club and created a MAC address list and set up WPA encryption. On trying out one of the other approved laptops I was horrified to see that the connection login came up on his screen when he put in the 192.168.1.1 address it showed the username@plusdsl.net and my password although dotted out was correct and he was able to access everything. I've raised a ticket with PN and they say this is correct operation. Surely this can't be. I can create a separate password on my own Netgear 834n. While all the wifi users are trusted users it still worries me that others can see what is essentially a security loophole. What can I do to block this from prying eyes, particularly when they are considering hard wiring a PC for all to use.
I could change the IP but that can be tracked down and found so there's no point. Shocked
Anybody got any ideas?
Andy
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Voyager 2110 not so secure?

Andy,
What's the problem here?  That your MAC blocking isn't working or that your router saves all your connection details?
Word_Warrior
Grafter

MAC is working as it should but once logged in anyone who has a login can see the connect panel complete with the fields filled in.
James
Grafter

That's a pretty standard thing tbh!
Change the admin password, problem solved.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh

Change the admin password, problem solved.

I actually thought I had when I installed it but there it was in all it's glory my main login password and not the one I created.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I'll go and take another look and see if I missed something, I ran out of time last night so could have overlooked something.
BTW the 'manual' is pants.
Andy
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Anyone on your internal network will be able to access the login page for http://192.168.1.1/, you'll just need to set an alternative administrator username/password if you don't want them to access the configuration settings.
EDIT: Incase what I said was confusing. I meant they can access the initial login prompt, but not get further without the username and password.
James
Grafter

If you change the admin password on your router they will not be able to gain access.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
.... you'll just need to set an alternative administrator username/password if you don't want them to access the configuration settings.

As I said, I thought I had, more importantly I don't want people accessing my login for things like the website and ccgi server etc. It was a little worrying. I'll give it another look later.
Andy
God
Grafter

I think it's that we are used to Netgear... Where you see nothing unless you have a password. I was surprised to find that you could see the account name, but without the password you can't change anything.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: God
I think it's that we are used to Netgear... Where you see nothing unless you have a password. I was surprised to find that you could see the account name, but without the password you can't change anything.

So all the details are displayed to begin with, without a login required? Ouch, bad move to have these routers running like this hehe.
Oh and God, Linksys > Netgear Tongue
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Right, I'm not alone then in thinking that the voyager is less than perfect. I've owned two Netgear routers and both have been superb in operation and faultless. and as  said in a previous post Once set up you can't get into anything without a login even if you do find the browser address. Hmmmmm! Food for thought indeed. Think I'll recommend that the committee purchases a Netgear WiFi router instead of the Free one. 'Free' at what cost? The connection window is wide open for abuse even if you have trusted connections. BT Voyager 2110 scores a big fat zero. You get what you pay for, that's why it's free I suppose. Don't get me wrong, It's probably okay if you only have 1 computer at home on the network but if you want to allow more it is dangerous.
Note to self: Get off soap box and go to bed and sleep it off!
Smiley
ed
Grafter

Hmmm, they can see the status information, but not change anything without logging in.
Another thing i found annoying about the 2110 v Netgear DG834PN was that if I used my external IP i got that damn fron page instead of my services  Angry grrr!