cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voyager 210 - reconnection

Stan_S_
Dabbler

Voyager 210 - reconnection

My Voyager 210 router drops the internet connection at least once per day.  I can live with that but I seem to have read somewhere that it can be set to automatically re-connect.  Can anyone suggest how this can be done please.  I am using Windows XP with I.E.8.
(In simple terms please - I am getting on a bit and not well up with tecky language or router stats etc..) Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Voyager 210 - reconnection

Hi,
It might be a bit of a silly question, but how do you tell your router to reconnect to the internet?  Is it a dial up connection icon on your desktop that you have to double click on and then select connect?
Stan_S_
Dabbler

Hi James.
I don't use any dial up connection.  If the connection drops I go to the "Voyager 210 Configuration Manager" and select 'Quick Start' and it then reconnects. It will also reconnect by using the router's on/off switch.  It is connected with an Ethernet cable.
    I ask the question because I read snippets on other forums talking about the 210 and see quotes such as "I lose connection which then reconnects in about one to two minutes."  I'm sure I've also read that it can be set to reconnect automatically but can't find where I read it.
scootie
Grafter

is it droping sync or is the internet just getting timed out?
ive got one of those mice powered things as backup so i will have a look later
Stan_S_
Dabbler

I'm not sure how 'Time out' works.  It seems to be just dropping sync. It is only occasional and happens at any time - either when the computer is on Hibernate or when I am actually in the middle of something on the Internet.
Stan_S_
Dabbler

So is there an answer to my question please James. Undecided
ie Can The Voyager 210 router be set so that it reconnects automatically when a connection drops?
James
Grafter

I don't know I'm afraid.
I couldn't find anything obvious when I had a look the other day. Sad
paulby
Grafter

@Stan.S
This seems to be a common fault with Voyager's - have a look at my post here.
It links out to this article on "The Scream".
The only solution I've found is to swap out the router for a different make (you could get PN to send you one for £6.99 if you stay for a year).
Stan_S_
Dabbler

Reading those links, it does seem to be a common fault with the Vogager 210.    A couple of interesting quotes from the Scream forum  referred to reconnections, ie:
"The modem seems to lose its  connection for 10 seconds then reconnects."
"Sometimes it will reconnect shortly afterwards."
I note there are several suggestions regarding the heat which it generates. Eg. siting it in a vertical position where the air can circulate round it.  I will try that and see how it goes.
Many thanks to all.
Stan.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've had similar problems in the past with the Voyager 2110/2091 - Funny because I'm sure the 2110 I used to have did automatically reconnect. I might just be imagining that though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi folks,
All very interesting, particularly Scream posts...Voyager 210 and BT do not come out of it very well. Funnily I have not had a problem with the 210 supplied by PN although it does get hot. Did PN go off to other suppliers because of this situation? If so which are the current favourite replacements? I am Ethernet wired at present but might go wireless sometime. The only problem that I still have, and which has been posted elsewhere without much help, is that mostly my DHCP seems to lie dormant on opening up to the 210 and I have to resort to rejiggng it with Network Settings which then connects me to PN immediately. Could this also be a 210 problem???
colintivy Sad
paulby
Grafter

Did PN go off to other suppliers because of this situation? If so which are the current favourite replacements?

I don't think they changed supplier because of that particular situation but the wireless router currently supplied is the Thomson 585v7 (which PN will probably supply you for £6.99 postage if you agree to stay with them for a year).