cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Sure Signal on Plusnet

antenna

Vodafone Sure Signal on Plusnet

I'd like to know what routers (with what version of firmware) Plusnet users with working Vodafone Sure Signal boxes are using. There was some discussion a few months ago about problems with various routers and with the Vodafone set-up itself.  If there are now some happy users with working set-ups, please let me know what you are using and if you have had to go for Plusnet's Pro service to overcome any latency-related issues.
Regards,
John
6 REPLIES 6
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Vodafone Sure Signal on Plusnet

AFAIK, - please correct me if im wrong
Vodafone Sure Signal - is really a VOIP system - this means it should get a good priority over plusnets network, if it doesnt then this can easily be raised with the Networks team in the usual method (data capture of what is being transmitted by the device)
There should be almost no issues with the setting up the device itself, but id recommend putting it in a DMZ, to ensure the routers firewall does not interfere with the connection. Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Vodafone Sure Signal - is really a VOIP system - this means it should get a good priority over plusnets network

I believe its actually an IPSec VPN system. It creates a VPN tunnel to the Vodafone servers to carry the GSM traffic. Given that, it won't be seen by the PlusNet traffic management as VOIP, rather as IPSec which on some tariffs is restricted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: MisterW
I believe its actually an IPSec VPN system. It creates a VPN tunnel to the Vodafone servers to carry the GSM traffic. Given that, it won't be seen by the PlusNet traffic management as VOIP, rather as IPSec which on some tariffs is restricted.

Not to an extent where it's going to cause problems though. The traffic's still high priority, even if it is rate limited. We've a number of people here who use the devices at home and they don't have any problems. There's a couple in the office too. One is hooked up to a Thomson 585v8 whilst the other is using a 2Wire 1800HG.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tbowker

Hi Bob,
Just came across your post whilst trying to setup my vodafone sure signal box with my TG585 v8 router. I have visited the vodafone troubleshooting (http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-Light-1-On-Light-2-Flashing/td-p/495...) guide & the port forwarding (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/TG585v8/Vodafone_Sure_Signal....) page for help and have setup a Game/Application forwarding ports 50,4500,500 & 123 and this is linked to a profile of my Sure Signal box which I have set to always assign the same IP. However I am still in the situation of having the @ light flashing on my sure signal. Any help on how your router is setup would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Tim
Bud
Grafter

I have it set up on with a draytek Vigor 2710n router and there is also 1 set up on a 3com office connect router.
I gather the main issues with getting them to work is more due to latency than speed.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: tbowker
Any help on how your router is setup would be much appreciated.

Hi Tim,
We just plugged it in and it worked straight out of the box. Do you have any other port forwarding rules set up? I think the Sure Signal shares ports with certain Cisco VPN set-ups. You might also want to check that UPnP is switched on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵