cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Sure Signal - can anyone help?

scbarnard

Vodafone Sure Signal - can anyone help?

Apologies that this has been asked else where but as a complete novice at this I get lost in hte instructions and computer language. 
I moved over to PlusNet two weeks ago, the SureSignal works intermittantly.
I have had the similar email as other people with all the instructions on but don't know where to start.  (Plusnet customer services refused to help me at all and said I should ask here)  I have been through the document on the help pages and I have reset my SS box but it is still really unreliable.
Can someone please help me in language that a simpleton can follow!
The bits I am stuck on are as follows:
3. Ensure that your Sure Signal device is assigned to an internal permanent static IP address on your routers settings and that IP address should be assigned to Sure Signal device s MAC address the sure signal MAC address is written on the back of the sure signal device
The customer service guy said that it is dynamic.  What ever that mean!
4. The maximum connection MTU size to guarantee the connection is 1500
How do I check this?
5. The below is a list of ports required to be forwarded with their proper protocol types 8 TCP UDP 50 TCP UDP 53 TCP UDP 67 UDP 68 UDP 123 UDP 500 UDP 1723 TCP UDP 4500 UDP 33434 - 33445 UDP
I have changed the ports that were in the document in hte help pages, which are the 8, 50, 500 and 4500.  I can imiagine that I can do most of the others but I am not sure how to do the ones that are not TCP AND UDP, ie. 67,68,123,33434-33445?
[b[6. Finally to allow all ports on the firewall settings on the internet router.
?Huh

If anyone can help me I would be eternally grateful.  I have worked out how to get into the router controls but no idea what to do witht he rest.
Many thanks
Sam
3 REPLIES 3
TimStephenson
Grafter

Re: Vodafone Sure Signal - can anyone help?

Hi Sam
I have a few questions to start with -
1) what sort of Plusnet connection do you have ? Fibre / FTTC? ADSL?
2) what router do you have for your Plusnet connection?
3) which Suresignal box do you have?
4) what isn't working for you? Is the SS not registering with Vodafone? What lights are flashing on the box?
The SureSignal boxes should "just work" with most routers, and it's not normally necessary to manually setup port forwarding etc. This does however sometimes seem to depend on the router you have - some are more fussy than others.
scbarnard

Hi Tim
Thank you very much for your reply, here are the answers to your questions:
1) what sort of Plusnet connection do you have ? Fibre / FTTC? ADSL? - ADSL
2) what router do you have for your Plusnet connection? technicolor - TG582n
3) which Suresignal box do you have? v2
4) what isn't working for you? Is the SS not registering with Vodafone? What lights are flashing on the box? I managed to put all the ports in yesterday which has improved it a bit but it keeps dropping out.  I always have the red power light on but the other two lights are often either flashing together or both off completely.  I run a business form home and have no mobile signal otherwise so this is becoming a real problem for me.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Hi,
Before you setup the port forwarding, what was happening with the SS? Has there been any change after adding the ports?
Both lights flashing seems to suggest that the SS is in the process of configuring itself - http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-2-Both-lights-flashing/td-p/1386418
A few threads over on the vodafone forum suggest it's a case of resetting the device, and waiting - but it sounds like you've tried that a few times.
Can you run a quick broadband speed test over at speedtest.net or http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and share the results please?
Might also be worth giving Vodafone a call if you haven't already? They can check whether your SS is attempting to register and reset the account on their servers, which can often kickstart things into happening.