Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista updates?

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Vista updates?

Downloaded a batch of Vista updates yesterday, and noticed when I reviewed the list that, there were four that had "failed" marked as "important" But however when I tried "Windows Update" again, it reported that there were "no available updates" The 4 failures were mostly security updates for IE7 and Windows Mail.
I'd have thought that WU would have picked these up and reinstalled them?
I don't use IE7 or W Mail in favour of Firefox and Thunderbird, but they're still installed on my PC.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Vista updates?

Hi
Have you tried manually intalling them by going to
Control Panel/Windows update/View Update History and double clicking the failed update.
There you will find a link to Microsoft for a manual download.
I would be interested to hear you results......
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
God
Grafter

Just a thought, you say you don't use them, but have you actually ever launched them? I seem to remember something similar where unused apps didnt update.
petlew
Pro

Ta! your holyship, however, I actually use IE to get my MS IE/OE updates, it's the only thing I do use it for, would this apply to your idea?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
God
Grafter

That would count as usage, the only other thing I can think of at the mo' is are you running a recently installed non activated version of windows or have you refused to allow the active X Windows Genuine Advantage applet to install?
Until about two or three days ago IE7 required WGA to install / recieve updates.
petlew
Pro

I don't know God, perhaps you'd enlighten a poor hard working disciple into the strange ways of this power!!

petlew
Pro

PS. I don't use OE/Mail at all and never have since purchasing the new PC, although it still is installed on the machine, I've been toying with the idea of removing it altogether.
Let the trumpets sound etc etc...

God
Grafter

Assuming your software is all legit go here: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and allow the Active X control to install and then try updating again.
petlew
Pro

Uhmm!! validated Windows Ok, no installation of Active X (so I guess it's already installed previously) but had a problem with the Office validation, reported "installation data unavailable" I'm not too sure that means too much as those elements of Office I installed work fine, it's an elderly copy of Office Xp that's been installed several times before on a couple of computers, I uninstalled the bundled Works 8 that came with this PC.
I have to say, I think I validated Windows at first use of this PC, I usually do if possible.
Thank you for your strange movement...

God
Grafter

Strange movements.... Oh dear, I may have to change my sig.  Shocked
petlew
Pro

And God spake unto to me, and his word was good, verily it has come to pass that the corruption brought down on me by the unworldly tyrant Microsoft (some say) has this day been expelled from my earthly belongings...I know not why, but those writings falsely shown unto me prefixed with the strange sign of KB have now been altered to be "successful"
So praise be to God, even if I did unsettle his word with "strange" when I meant "mysterious" twas the cup of nectar I upended over my lap, and forgot to edit it in the confusion. Let the angels foreswear his name for all eternity...if not longer.

God
Grafter

Peace be with you petlew.  Grin
petlew
Pro

For God...no offence meant
Though Vista is my shepherd, I did not want.
It maketh me to lie down after Xp pastures, it leadeth me beside home premium,
It restoreth my last point. It guides me in the paths of defrag and cleanup...if only for their name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of blue screens, I will fear no evil for Vista is with me; your update staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a desktop before me in the presence of my monitor. You anoint my keyboard with tea; when my cup overfloweth
Surely viruses and spyware will follow me all the days of my C: drive, and I will dwell in the house of Microsoft forever.

God
Grafter

Verily, Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh Away.
This is the circle of life. Peace be with you petlew.
fceluk
Grafter

Inevitably, WSUS meets the same fate, coming as it does from the same Mother. Sad