Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista start up error

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Vista start up error

Have just come across a problem with Vista Home Premium which I haven't had with Windows before!!
On start up, a couple of days ago, it didn't boot into Windows but gave me a message about error in boot configuration data (BCD).
A restart with the OEM Vista disc in, allowed me to get to repair and restart - it then ran normally. But it isn't actually repairing the fault because subsequently I have to use the Vista CD every time to ovecome the message at start up.
Question - does this indicate that the hardware(HDD) is at fault or is it that the s/ware is incapable of genuinely repairing the boot configuration data?? Undecided
dick:blue All caps title edited as per forum rules.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: VISTA START UP ERROR

You could try method 2 (and if necessary 3) here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391
This guy had the same problem and it worked for him http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/320789-error-occurred-while-...
The answers to your question are:
Possibly a faulty hard drive could have caused the original problem or it could have just been a glitch.
No, it should be possible to repair it either way.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Re: Vista start up error

Thanks very much for replying; Unfortunately this info. doesn't help because I can never get to "System Recovery Options" under the MS method - no operating system is found to "highlight" and all I get is an option to repair and restart. The PC runs fine then - until I shutdown  and have to restart!!
Since posting I have done a bit more research - it seems that people with my "flavour" of this problem have ended up having to do a full reinstall of Vista - something I'm VERY reluctant to do! Cry
scootie
Grafter

easyBCD might be worth a try, but your going to need to get loaded in to vista to download and install http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyBCD
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Asbo Dog; EasyBCD has appeared to have solved the problem. :)Used "reset BCD storage" option under "Diagnostics" after checking that required files were present - its restarted successfully three times now without the need for the Vista DVD  Wink Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It would be interesting to know if fixing the start-up problem now enables you to access the "System Recovery Options".
I saw a new HP machine a few months ago that crashed with a Blue Screen of Death whenever I tried to access "System Recovery" although it would start normally otherwise.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Spoke too soon; problem has reoccurred - in fact I get the black screen announcing "error in boot configuration data" about every 2nd or 3rd cold restart - even after using EasyBCD to reset BCD storage.Having to use the Vista DVD to cure.
In answer to suggestion of F8 on reboot - multiple presses doesn't work - whatever I do I end up back at the " black screen of death"- boot configuration error!!
Any firther suggestions gratefully received before I lose patience and reinstall Vista?? Cry