Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista is designed to annoy

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Vista is designed to annoy

That's the strongest argument I've seen for being an atheist!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulby
Grafter

@God
...there must be something wrong with me too then! 
I was a bit wary of Vista at first given all the negative press but haven't had any issues with it at all.  Reminds me a bit of the "I'm sticking with Win98" arguments when Xp first came out.
BTW - This is a useful site if you want to customise Vista a bit!
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: God
There must be something wrong with me.

Bless you God, wouldn't do if we were all the same would it
My other problem with vista was that I had bought quite a high spec laptop but with Vista the performance was dull. I know there was a lot of Acer bloatware involved too. I took a drive image of the vista partition, formatted and loaded the XP to check performance.
I left it on as the laptop performed much better with out Vista and the Acer stuff..
Quote from: Paul03
Reminds me a bit of the "I'm sticking with Win98" arguments when Xp first came out.

Well I took to XP straightaway. I do intend to have another go with Vista when things are smoothed out somewhat and we have service packs that work
scootie
Grafter

ive had ago with usb boots of a few distros past couple of weeks. the only one to detect all my wireless cards was backtrack reading what people use backtrack for resulted in me changing my wpa psk passpharse to one of over 40 random letters an numbers to try and protect against dictonary attack.
but sadly im still using bill gates lego os as i couldnt get the wpa_supplicant to work so to use wpa psk i have to use vista.
any one know an easy way to get wpa psk on any of the linux distros would have to be able to use on a usb boot as i dont want to put it on hd just yet.
God
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
My other problem with vista was that I had bought quite a high spec laptop but with Vista the performance was dull. I know there was a lot of Acer bloatware involved too. I took a drive image of the vista partition, formatted and loaded the XP to check performance.
I left it on as the laptop performed much better with out Vista and the Acer stuff..

It seems that laptop vendors feel the need to ladle on as much bloatware as possible. I suspect that they are making as much profit from software bounties as they are hardware! It takes ages to trim it all off.
grimme
Grafter

@scootie
Closest I've come is with a PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniMe, in that it lets you add the packages you need, set things up the way you want them (Including, for me WPA-TKIP) THEN you can remaster  to an ISO (helps to have a 1 or 2 GB empty flash drive for this).
Burn this ISO to a new CD, boot with it, it will have all your re-configured packages and setups.
Then from within PClinuxOS create a USB boot drive.
Each time I use my PCLinuxOS USB stick with my WPA connection, I just select the SSID that I need and it just connects.
scootie
Grafter

just download ubuntu and booted from cd and its setup from the go for wpa - psk perfect going to try and get it to boot from usb now.
artificer
Grafter

this:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=429&page=1
might help you tweak vista to get what little best is to be got.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I had to briefly resurrect an old system yesterday which had Windows 2000 on it and only an AMD K6-500. What a delight in comparison!
Turn on, get job done, turn off. I'd forgotten just how much junk there is in Vista!
seanbranagh
Grafter

I was searching the internet and came accross a piece of software that will solve any problem you may have with Vista.
It comes on a CD and is called "Microsoft Windows XP" LoL.
That is what I think about Vista.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A utility called fdisk also fixes Vista.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Be3G
Grafter

Windows RG would always be an alternative option.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
Windows RG would always be an alternative option.

LoL!
God
Grafter

I have had a fiddle with Ubuntu and Knoppix and while I think they are ok I prefer Windows. Actually I far prefer Vista over XP (I run both). Personally I don’t have an issue with paying fifty quid for an OS it is only marginally more than the price of a Nintendo, X-box or PC game.
There is plenty of excellent fairly priced and free software for Vista and XP. Some of the programs I use just aren’t available on nix platforms. At the risk of being a Vista fanboi I will go on record as saying I really haven’t had a problem with Vista since day one. Open office? You can keep it, Office 2007 is better, it doesn’t ever (in my experience) crash, which Open Office does. Not all open source software is good...
lingbob
Grafter

I've used Ooo for years on various flavours of Windows and numerous Linux distros and it's never crashed once!
Regards .....