Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista is designed to annoy

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Vista is designed to annoy

I really did wonder whether to put this in General Chit Chat but anyway here it is unless it gets moved. linky
In a Thursday presentation at RSA 2008 in San Francisco, David Cross, a product unit manager at Microsoft who was part of the team that developed UAC, admitted that Microsoft's strategy with UAC was to irritate users and ISVs in order to get them to change their behavior.
"The reason we put UAC into the platform was to annoy users. I'm serious," said Cross.

Edit As I had to look it up - ISV Independent Software Vendors
43 REPLIES 43
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Vista is designed to annoy

Well I don't know if it changed anyone's behaviour, but it certainly annoys people. Nice one Microsoft, another success!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It changed mine to an extent - I disabled it and also disabled the Security System monitoring to get rid of that annoying popup.
i would much rather rely on Kaspersky Internet Security - currently running V8 beta and very happy
Santiago
Grafter

UAC annoyed me too, I formatted and put XP on instead
Jekyll
Grafter

Don't know if this might be of use to anyone but I found that when I first got Vista my HD's were (I think the word is "thrashing") alot, and this went on for a week in my case, but even after that it kept going, and I found something on the Net that said that this is/was due to Vista saying "Hello" to your new HD by constantly going through it indexing everything, and there is an option called "Superfetch" and you get to it via typing "services" into the "Start search" and then clicking on services and scrolling down till you see Superfetch, and then disable it.......helped me but only after it was almost too late, hope it may be of use to anyone, assuming you have had hard drive thrashing on a new HD of course
Jekyll  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes - that Superfetch is really annoying at first.
It seems to have settled down finally so isn't so noticeable
Jekyll
Grafter

Tell me about it, I have Vista on a 500 Gig HD and even now it makes its funny sound as I am either playing or surfing from time to time, but I guess that must just be because its a big HD and I do have alot of stuff on it.......but Superfetch is now off and so it has been alot less than before........on the whole though, I actually quite like Vista.......despite its problems.......maybe I am just a glutton for punishment  Grin
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
UAC annoyed me too, I formatted and put XP on instead

I formatted my Vista partition and then went back to Linux  Shocked
Regards .....
artificer
Grafter

from quick and dirty os on up from ms-dos to vista the whole os has been designed to be annoying.  i hated having to change from cp/m and am overjoyed that i found PCLinuxOS.
i now enjoy my computer instead of nannying it with all those anti-this, anti-that protections applications.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

W98 irritated me to the extent that I dumped it and moved to Linux.
One PC is dual boot - but I've never found a reason to try Windows again.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Santiago
Grafter

I have the Ubuntu cd on the desk next to the laptop waiting to be installed!
I also have downloaded PClinuxOS and Linux Mint but am unsure really which to go with. I am just reading up up the whole Linux thing before taking the plunge but there are so many different points of view on this!
I want to run a dual boot initially while I familiarise myself with Linux, but would hope to run only Linux on this machine long term.
Any advice on what version to use and tips on dual booting from you Linux types would be much appreciated
grimme
Grafter

I found the best way to try, especially on a laptop, was to burn the following live CD distro's to CD and/or USB flash drive and try them out on the laptop.
Some laptop hardware (especially wireless cards and sound) reacts differently to each distro and I would then install to the HD the one that ticks the most boxes so to speak.
PCLinuxOS - This seems to cover most requirements
Linux Mint - This is next in line, but I had trouble with sound that the PCLinuxOS worked OK with.
Simply Mepis - I use this on a desktop dual booting with win98. On laptop had trouble with Wireless.
Dreamlinux - If you want a Mac look-alike, but had trouble with wireless cards and WPA.
Latest Kubuntu/Ubuntu 8.04 releases cover more hardware than previous versions, but are only in testing, with a full release due soon - however, it doesn't hurt to download and burn one to CD.
One of the current Linux mags has a Linux Mint lite version on it, so you could get that and use it as a live CD.
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
from quick and dirty os on up from ms-dos to vista the whole os has been designed to be annoying.  i hated having to change from cp/m and am overjoyed that i found PCLinuxOS.
i now enjoy my computer instead of nannying it with all those anti-this, anti-that protections applications.

I couldn't have put it better myself  Grin
Regards .....
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Any advice on what version to use and tips on dual booting from you Linux types would be much appreciated

There are so many excellent distros out there that it's very difficult to advise which one to go for. The ones to definitely have a look at would be:
- PCLinuxOS
- Mandriva
- Ubuntu
- Fedora
As someone else has already said, the best way to go about it would be to d/load the LiveCD iso's for each distro, burn them to a CD and then boot form the LiveCD(s). You will then be able to play about with each distro without fear of trashing your existing OS. Once you've decided which one to go for, it's a simple matter of clicking the "Install" icon on your LiveCD desktop to install the distro to your hard drive. The Linux boot-loader should see your existing OS and automatically add it to its boot menu or alternatively, you could install a boot manager such as BootItNG but that approach is not exactly straight forward. Best of luck  Smiley
Regards .....
God
Grafter

Oh Dear
There must be something wrong with me.
I like Vista, I even prefer it to XP.