cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista blue screening and rebooting

randpwar
Grafter

Vista blue screening and rebooting

Bit of a long shot, and as I’m at work I’m afraid I can only give a paucity of info, but….. My Vista Home Premium pc has recently started blue screening (after about half an hour to an hours use) with a ‘physical memory’ message then reboots. Problem and Solutions says APPCRASH and goes on to give details (sorry don’t have them to hand) but appears to be different details every time.  Sad
Does anyone have any ideas please? 
Many thanks
Rob
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Vista blue screening and rebooting

My gut reaction is a memory problem.
You may have defective memory, or your computer may be getting too warm and causing random memory corruption.
Could we worth opening it up and cleaning it out (when powered off!).  Please avoid using anything that may generate static electricity to clean it though (feather dusters are NOT a good idea  Grin)
Also might be worthwhile reseating the memory if you feel confident enough.
Alternatively, download the memtest86 ISO, burn it to a CD and boot onto it which should give your memory a nice thorough thrashing Smiley
B.
Community Veteran

Check the event log and see if there is anything reported in there that may give you a clue. Try installing a monitor for the temperature and see if its getting hot failing that as soon as it reboots check in the bios as most tell you the temp there
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. On one of the reboots it advised me to run what I took to be Vista’s version of Scandisk against the C drive. This I did and errors were corrected and all has been well since, here's hoping!………..Rob