Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista and Wireless Routers

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Vista and Wireless Routers

Well my new laptop with Vista Home Premium refuses to play ball with my DLINK DSL-G624T router. Works fine if I plug it in on a cable but I get the dreaded
"Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point"
If I try to use the wireless even with security turned off.
Its a Toshiba L300D-13S with an internal Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter  card
Oddly enough it works fine under Ubuntu and my router works fine with XP and other laptops.
So I need an ADSL wireless router with port forwarding (I run my own server) and the usual sort of stuff.
The 624T is supposed to work with Vista and I actually think it is a driver issue but I'm going to go buy a new wireless and just config that half of it and if it still doesn't work then I'm returning the laptop.
So suggestions for a router that works?
2 REPLIES 2
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Vista and Wireless Routers

I feel so sad replying to my own post  Embarrassed
I tried a Netgear "Vista Ready" router. Same problem. Tried another two networks that I can see from my living room that are open (a dlink and a belkin) and they both failed with the same error.
So its something screwed in the laptop. If I flatten the disk and then re-install it works on the wireless until I drop the connection (log off, reboot etc) and then its dead.
Took it back and PC World were going to refuse me a refund but I think when I gave them a cold hard stare and I said I wanted to talk to the manager they changed their minds.
It seems that some of the Tosh L300D laptops have "issues". Charming!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Vista and Wireless Routers

It goes back several months, but there is a lovely lady called Bubbleasius? who had a lot of trouble with PCWorld and Tosh.  One of the problems is the WiFi Standard  class N is not ratified Tosh use one level and trhe router another
found the thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,59784.msg486629.html#msg486629