Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista + X-Fi and mics how to?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Vista + X-Fi and mics how to?

Anyone figured out how to get the mic working in Vista with said card in a useable form?
Only way I can get mine working is if I disable HD audio in the bios and that is with What you hear capture device option, so pointless for gaming or voip.
With HD audio I no longer get the mic working, even with Vistas Sound Recorder
Dxdiag for the nosey
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
3 REPLIES 3
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Re: Vista + X-Fi and mics how to?

i am an experienced IT Manager, with a home gaming rig with an X-Fi card, but i don't wish to touch Vista until they iron out all the kinks and fix the hardware issues - plus the lack of games that work.  Soundblaster cards got a raw deal with Vista and despite ALchemy's release for the X-Fi and EAX cards, i believe there is still trouble.  ALchemy re-enables the 3D surround audio features and EAX in games.
have you tried the Creative Labs euro website to see if there have been any fixes/updates to the software available??  The issues are mainly die to DX10, and change from DirectSound to OpenAL sound distribution.
http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/
According to them, Vista drivers are dated 30th May 07 and ALchemy is dated 8th Aug 07.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

ALchemy is for the older games just get get EAX audio but yeah tried everything from creatives forum and nothing works, £125 down the pan as it was bought for gaming in mind.
I don't have XP to dual boot just win2k but for my New pc the drivers are worse for win2k than Vista's, so in short term I've taken my nice X-fi card out and reverting to onboard which works with no hassles in Vista, just the audio in game via my 5.1 headphones just isn't as a good but atleast the mic works.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
iainmacmillan
Grafter

might be worth contacting Creative themselves in the UK and see if there is something they can suggest (or spend £60 on a XP upgrade CD!!).
failing that a nice email to PCZone or PCGamer may render some results.  I haven't found a working solution other than trying the drivers that they have so far.