Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Vista) Windows Media Centre

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

(Vista) Windows Media Centre

Anybody know if WMC can be uninstalled. It doesn't appear in Add/remove programs (or whatever Vista calls it) nor do the right clicked from the desktop icon file location files (apparently called ehome) have an uninstall option. I'm a bit wary about the heavy-handed approach of simply deleting the entire ehome folder, as I suspect it maybe quite integrated into Vista.
Under normal circumstances, I don't use it, its a very elaborate, very large programme, that seems to have a life of its own, opening (very slowly) when simple video clips are selected, in spite of another player being selected as default.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES 7
samuria
Grafter

Re: (Vista) Windows Media Centre

What version of Vista have you got a WMC is included with Home premier and Ultimate versions only.
if you havent got these versions you can buy it from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/buy/default.mspx
Santiago
Grafter

I was using Vista last year and I removed WMC, so it can be done
Have a read of this which explains what you have to do.
petlew
Pro

Thanks guys;
samuria, thank you, I already have Windows Media Centre (on Vista Home Premium) and am trying to get rid of it!!
santiago, many thanks, what an interesting link; not only WMC, but a number of other Vista/Xp "integrated" programmes can be dealt with. Rather glad I didn't succumb to temptation and just delete the ehome folder though.
Curiosity:
I have three computers in this home, my wifes laptop has Vista Home Basic, both "my" PC's have Vista Home Premium. Only one of the Home Premium's has the Windows Media Centre running on it, so I guess that at some stage it is an option to include it or not at initial setup from new...uhmm. So just thinking out loud, if I ran a Vista "repair" would I have the option to exclude it, just a thought.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Santiago
Grafter

I'm not sure about the initial set up as my vista came pre-installed and I never really played around with it before I took it off. IIRC isn't there an option to disable the media centre?
I'm sure one of the vista guys will be able to help you though.
samuria
Grafter

Sorry I read the problem wrong. You should just be able to unistall it.
Contol Panel
Progams and features
Turn windows features on or off
I have Business version on so cant be sure but it lets you remove most other things from there  like webserver etc
petlew
Pro

Many thanks samuria, it looked the obvious when you pointed it out (never been there before) but sadly WMC is not listed in it, unless it has some totally obscure name.

Be3G
Grafter

I can confirm that Vista doesn't give you the opportunity to skip it when installing Windows, unfortunately.