cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista -The Marmite of Operating Systems?

God
Grafter

Vista -The Marmite of Operating Systems?

You either love it or hate it - discuss.
50 REPLIES 50
Spider
Grafter

Re: Vista -The Marmite of Operating Systems?

I prefer Marmite any day, you can keep your operating system.
God
Grafter

No, No... The beer glass content discussion is another thread, this is about the pros and cons of Vista and if you like it or not and why.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I use it at home basically because I have to learn it's idiosyncrasies.
I run a network of 25 clients at my work and inevitably replacement PCs, in the relatively near future, will come with Vista pre-installed, like it or not.
Pretty it is with it's translucent stuff but it's just a tool to me at the end of the day and more so at work.
You have to enjoy a challenge in this line of work.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I don't feel it's a challenge, more a laborious, overly-ellaborate attempt at a sexy operating system to appeal to people who prefer style over substance. Give me a secure, fast, and reliable operating system over a pretty looking heap of junk any day!
Have Home Premium on my dads laptop and I hate using it, and had Business on my main machine for all of about 2 weeks to a month, which was then replaced by Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn.
Strat
Community Veteran

Maybe it's Microsoft's attempt at an 'all things for all men' OS
(sorry Mand)
No I don't have shares in Microsoft!!!
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
God
Grafter

Quote from: FretMaster
I use it at home basically because I have to learn it's idiosyncrasies.
<Snip>

Same here, I started with it on the basis I had to learn it to deal with folks who would inevitably call me with their computer problems. Strangely I have grown to like it  Smiley
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well God...if I may call you that!! I've been using Vista for about a month, having got it on a new PC, whether I wanted it or not...which initially I didn't, in preference, trying to stay with Xp. I vaguely recall when Xp first arrived there was a fair measure of resistance to it from die-hard Win2000, Win Me and 98 users pulling it pieces, nowadays many seem to think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I suspect perhaps we need to give it a chance, we sometimes suffer with very short memories.
Apart from one glitch (today as it happens) when Vista quite suddenly shut down for no apparent reason, and refused to restart Windows until it had completed a fully automatic recovery (tell that one to Win2000, Me, 98 and 95 users, we'd have sold our grandmothers for that) I have found Vista; fast, stable and very usable.
Ok, there are some issues with hardware and software compatibility, but MS never tried to hide that, and announced it long before it came on sale, and anyway I've personally not had any of my, some several years old, kit fail to be accepted by Vista, that that didn't work straight away had a patch for it quickly and simply. Indeed just to be contrary I've had a least two pieces of quite old software (last installed on Win 98) that wouldn't run under Xp, work perfectly with Vista.
The amount of info sent back to MS at registration/activation of course remains a valid question for some. But if you've nothing to hide, what are you worrying about?
So to sum up, I thought I wasn't going to get on with Vista, but I was wrong, it's quite user friendly (even if sometimes not the friend of the experienced programmers and technicians among us) It does just what it says on the can, to coin a phrase, and generally does it quite well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Strat
Community Veteran

Thank God (forgive me father)
I was beginning to think this forum was full of Linux Lovers.
Some say MS Operating Systems are so succcessful because they are so good and provide what people want.
Others say it's due to high pressure and domineering marketing, suppressing the opposition.
Answers on a postcard to...................
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I would say their dominance on the market is due to them starting off with DOS, building market coverage and that important factor to rope in the non-techies: vast amounts of money to spend on advertising. Also *nix systems were always aimed at server usage, and only recently (recently in OS terms) has been pushed towards desktops and end-users.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to admit that my primary OS is Windows XP, but it's not through choice really. Although I'm used to Windows OS's, that's not what is keeping me using it. Compatability with applications and games is. If GIMP can reproduce all of the features of Photoshop CS3 in the near future, and I stop playing some games that I do currently, then I'll be jumping into bed with Linux quicker than it takes a scouser to steal your trainers.
God
Grafter

*Waits for Scouser to reply*  Shocked
Strat
Community Veteran

.......there are scousers with keyboard skills??? Shocked

Oh yeah....there's that McCartney fella
Anyway...back to topic
On the whole I like Vista.
I particularly like the highly detailed log of my kids activities.
It's not spying, it's good parenting.
I've no doubt there are third party apps out there to do most of this kind of thing but it's nice to have it built in and locked to prying fingers.
The new desktop search is fantastic, very easy to use and thorough, finding items I had completely forgotten about.
God
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
<Snip> I vaguely recall when Xp first arrived there was a fair measure of resistance to it from die-hard Win2000, Win Me and 98 users pulling it pieces, nowadays many seem to think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. <Snip>

I definitely remember when XP was considered the spawn of Satan. Folks certainly hated it up to SP1 and for some SP2. Now it seems we have difficulty prising it out of people’s hands.
@Mike
Shallow it might be but I like a bit of style *with* my substance. Calling it a heap of junk is about as accurate as calling *nix systems junk. They probably do address slightly different markets. You can argue over how well it has succeeded or not but windows has always *tried* to offer a total solution to the technically challenged. As such Vista is a logical extension.
One thing for certain is that if windows hadn’t dominated the market another product would have. If the OS market had been highly fragmented for the last decade you certainly wouldn’t have the abundance of excellent software out there that we all now take for granted. There have been positive as well as negative effects of M$ being the top dog.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I believe we would have close to the same amount of great software, but the developers would have taken more time to allow for portability (between some systems it just isn't possible, but others it would be). It wouldn't only be the application creators efforts at making it portable, but the OS vendors would also be compelled to allow for interoperability, maximising the number of applications available to run on their OS.
I do like a little style I agree, but transparent windows which hog resources etc aren't really needed - and if they were then they could be done a lot more efficiently. Alas if another OS replicated similar styling, M$ would probably tell them they are going to sue for patent enfringement. Roll_eyes
I'll like to see the day when the OS market is a lot more competitive (maybe even a 33% split between Mac OSX, *nix and Windows/Vista), then we would be able to see which camp can retain their userbase and also steal some from the other parties.
Strat
Community Veteran

Reading through my free IT weeklies at work a distinct migration from Microsoft to Open Source is under way.
Every week I read about another Multi-National migrating their systems from M$.
Open Office is being pre-installed along with a Linux build.
Now Microsoft are 'bribing' the third world with severely cut down versions of Windows in order to create a new and potentially massive market for full versions.
They are clearly concerned with the growth of Open Source and reacting in a typically business fashion with offers, loss leaders and new markets.