cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Snipping Tool

Not applicable

Vista Snipping Tool

I do a bit of craft work and have found that the snipping tool in Vista is quite useful.
My crafting friend uses XP and would find this useful too so I wondered if anyone knows of a free download which would do the same thing? Have done a quick google and found one or two things. There is a FF addon called Snipshot but it isn't compatible with FF3 and I would like the utility to be independent of a browser.
Wondered if anyone has tried anything similar?
10 REPLIES 10
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Vista Snipping Tool

I normally use Paint shop Pro.  but for a free one that works, just tried it.
Use the Prt Sc button to get the full screeninto the clipboard.
Then Get and open Irfan View http://www.irfanview.net/
Copy to the blank screen.  Drag cursor around what you want.  Shift C to open the clipped bit as a new image.  Save it

Hope that helps
pierre_pierre
Grafter

was trying to get this for the GMT thread, seems to work OK
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have just disabled Tablet PC Optional Components in Vista 64bit, which includes the snipping tool, with a remarkable improvements in frame rate in Crysis Warhead in DX10. Other users have posted the same thing with respect to Far Cry 2 Dx10 also.
Not applicable

Pierre - thank you for the suggestion, which was timely because after I posted I was pondering about the PrintScreen function/Paint combination and thought that it would work although not as easily as the Snipping Tool. Anyway, just had a play and and it does work (with some cropping). I was then able to open up the jpg image in Publisher and it seems to do the trick although haven't printed it off yet to check.
The original question was due to the fact that I use a disc which has images and backing papers on it displayed in pdf format (I use Foxit).
It was just that I wanted to use/transfer the images to Publisher to manipulate them and so make them more useful.
Will now have to explain to my friend how to do this.
** Just located another little download called Screenhunter 4 (www.download.com) which looks as if it does the same as the snipping tool so I will have a go with that tomorrow. It should be easier than the former method (my friend lacks confidence with her computer and might find is a bit difficult).
Not applicable

For anyone who is interested, have just downloaded Screenhunter 5 and this works in the same way as the snipping tool in Vista so problem solved.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Good tip poppy - much faster and easier than using Print Scrn - example below
God
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I should have checked before installing it - it doesn't work on Vista 64bit  Embarrassed
Not applicable

There is another one called Bug Shooting:
http://www.bugshooting.com
It says that the requirements are:
    * Windows XP (x32), Windows Vista (x32)
    * Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Excuse my ignorance Oldjim but does this mean it would work with your Vista 64bit?  Embarrassed
**Confession time - I got the link from a reader of the Computeractive forum!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No it won't but your first link does everything I need so I am happy with it