cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista SP1

Not applicable

Vista SP1

I wondered if anyone could tell me how big the Vista SP1 will be (due to be released mid-March)?
I only ask because we have two laptops at home, both running Vista and I thought that it might blow away my allowance for the month (am only on Option 1).
If it is going to be quite large, I will have to put the alarm clock on!
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Vista SP1

probably about 45 - 50 MB unless you go for the standalone installer which is much bigger as it has all the versions included
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=681
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply - not too bad then, although I think that I will probably utilize the free time.
Read the link but still not sure what a 'standalone installer' is. I only have Vista Basic so I will leave that one out.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

There are 2 ways in which you can install service packs which applies to any Windows product, not just vista
1) Via windows update where it downloads it and installs. This method requires an internet connection to work.
2) You download a complete package from Microsoft download website or get it on a CD which will self extract and install without downloading anything further from the internet. This is what a stand alone installer is.
However, I would strongly advise you don't download and install it when it is first released as there have been many reported problems with the release candidates. I would wait a few more months for all the nasties to be found and resolved before installing it.
samuria
Grafter

Latest news is the RTM 434.47 MB and it can be up to 800meg for some versions
It takes over 35 mins to install and test on RTM says it makes Vista slower than before by a long way.
MS have produced a list of products that it kills the latest news on RSS say they have had to pull it as there has been to many problems of it killing pc's.
They are also forcing updates to all Vista pc that will show if your copy is illegal (like WGA for XP) and then they plan to send out a kill pc to those using the OEM bios crack. It will be interesting to see how many mins it takes the hackers to get around it. I wonder how many genuine pc's will be killed
Not applicable

Glad to get some views on this. Although I have automatic update enabled, I always check before downloading so I think that I will leave it for a while, as advised.  My computer is running fine at the moment and I don't want to upset it!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Note RTM is "released to manufacturers" or similar so is much much larger than the automatic user specific update of about 45MB
pjemmanuel
Grafter

There was an article in this months Personal Computer World magazine that said that Vista SP1 will be available for download from Windows Update or the MS Download centre in mid March, but will not be available in Automatic updates until mid April.
It also mentions that the versions available on both the Windows Update site and Automatic updates will only work if there are no "issues" with device drivers. If you have problem drivers on your system, you will have to upgrade them.
More details here
Bud
Grafter

I applied SP1 to a vista system yesterday and no ill effects so far noticed its quite a bit smoother.  Only took 20 minutes approx on a core2duo 2.2ghz
Gryzor
Grafter

Downloaded the RTM version from MSDN and it comes in at approximately 700MB both for the x86 and x64.
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I wondered if anyone could tell me how big the Vista SP1 will be (due to be released mid-March)?
I only ask because we have two laptops at home, both running Vista and I thought that it might blow away my allowance for the month (am only on Option 1).
If it is going to be quite large, I will have to put the alarm clock on!

Can you not download it overnight? then it wont get taken off your allowance.  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I thought thats what the last comment about the alarm clock meant  Cheesy
Not applicable

Netreg - that is exactly why I posted. Now that I know how large SP1 is I will get up early and begin the downloads.