cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista SP1 - what has it done to my laptop?

bubbalicious
Grafter

Vista SP1 - what has it done to my laptop?

Oh guys what has Vista Sp1 done, or one of the updates I installed? Lips_are_sealed
I installed it early this morning when my updater said I should but it seems to have removed some of the options I use.
Firstly the power options, even with the advanced settings I don't have any option for 'sleep, hibernate, if I choose 'what to do when close lid, power button etc all I have it shut down or do nothing!  I really need the hibernate or hybrid sleep option -but can't have it!
Then as well as that my display isn't doing what it should, getting to the personalization options and selecting window colour and appearance I no longer see the window with the slider to adjust the colour etc, don't have any option for the windows aero scheme, and see the pop up as XP gave me and only windows Vista basic as scheme other than the normal older choices!
I am logged as the administrator, and I made a restore point before I installed any of the updates including SP1 and have tried to restore it back, it wouldn't show the one I made so I chose the automatic one that was made before the sp1 was installed but it hasn't resolved any of the problems!
Any ideas please are very, very much appreciated as always!
Sallly Cry
5 REPLIES 5
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Vista SP1 - what has it done to my laptop?

hi Sally,
What laptop do you have?
I had installed SP1 on this laptop (Compaq Presario C500 series) and didn't experience any of those problems you've mentioned.
Get back to me via this thread or PM and I'll have a dig around the knowledgebases to see what I can find..
Roger.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Wow- thanks so much.  I really do appreciate your kind offer Roger
I have a Sony Vaio FZ31M.cek laptop.
cheers
bluewhale
Rising Star

has something happened to the display driver
has it been disabled/gone into a safe mode
if there is a driver in place on the hardware somewhere that doesn't support hibernate then you loose the option
so the fact that your display is also odd it may point to that
i'd go to the update history and see what you've had installed and see if any were hardware related
you may want to try and reinstall/update the display driver
mal0z
Grafter

bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheers Peeps.  problem solved!  Cheesy
Culprit my Nvidia graphics Card - thanks Bluewhale  :-*, and for explaining why.
I tried to uninstall it and and a message popped up saying it had been disabled through an error.  I enabled it, reinstalled the driver, restarted my laptop and hooray everything that I was missing is back - hoorah!
If something similar ever happens again then I will know where to look!
As always, you saved me going totally bonkers! Crazy
Sally