cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Personalization: Colour and appearance

Not applicable

Vista Personalization: Colour and appearance

Have just noticed that when I click on Vista Personalization > Window Colour and Appearance I no longer get the transparency palette.  I used to have this (even though I use Vista Basic) and don't know when it was lost.
When I click on it I just get a small dialogue box labelled 'Appearance' with the usual colour scheme selection.
Does anyone know how this can be re-enabled please?  It was definitely there before.
7 REPLIES 7
scootie
Grafter

Re: Vista Personalization: Colour and appearance

well i only use my vista in basic settings as it uses less memory.
but when i tryed to get the option to tick transparency it was not there to get that menu u have to go the same place u have bein going colour and appearence if it just comes up with windows clasic vista basic and areo u will have to have vista areo to get transprancey.
i have had sp1 for vista for a week now but before sp1 i think u could use transparency in vista basic mode but im not 100% sure u could as i said i stick with vista basic .
Not applicable

Thank you for checking, scootie.  I have had another play and managed to get it back by clicking Theme: Vista and then Colour and Appearance: Vista Standard. As you say, it is better to have it in basic mode anyway because of the memory/processing power.
It's just one of those things that niggles and you can't help but wonder where it has gone. I was thinking that it might be SP1 too but evidently its not.
Jekyll
Grafter

I've got Vista on another Hard Drive but got so sick and tired of things changing by themslves that I now have gone back to XP until Vista gets much better, don't get me wrong I love Vista but it has niggles in abundance.
I've had the icons in Vista's add/remove programs (forgotten what Vista calls it now) either disappear or find the layout different to how I wanted it, and I found myself spending whole evenings trying to put it right.
XP for me until I know its got alot better  Smiley
scootie
Grafter

hi jekyll i havent had any problems like that with vista but i have heard u get some problems if u upgrade from xp to vista.
but mine was a clean install of vista.
only problem i have had with vista is my logitech quickcam pro 3000 webcam was said not to work with vista but a bit of editing in the driver files to change the pid inputs got that working. Was just logitech trying to get some sales on new webcams.
think if u wait for them to iron every little problem out of vista it will be time to install windows 7.
Jekyll
Grafter

Hi scootie,
Mine is also a clean install, and not an upgrade, whilst I realise that it would be an age before it has all the little bugs ironed out, I want to wait until a service pack is out at least, I've heard so many different stories, some saying its out and others saying no net yet, so I am really only holding back until my actual windows update tells me that there is a service pack ready for download......at present it has'nt told me anything, except single updates every now and then  Smiley
Don't get me wrong though, I adore Vista in most areas, but as I get frustrated easily, I like to give it a little time, and as I have XP sitting aorund I use that for the time being  Smiley games run well, if not better in alot of cases........plus I have a fair few games which Vista does'nt like, so thank heavens for XP.
I do use Vista but only for the very latest games, that reminds me, I must when I put that drive in to use, to make sure to update my settings for here and my email, as its all still set for my old ISP........otherwise I'll be wondering why I have no emails  Grin not that I get many  Sad
scootie
Grafter

if your a gamer then def o stick with xp.
sp1 is out i installed a week ago at first it wasnt showing in windows update. manualy checked for updates and some came up installed them and the sp1 showed up to download. it was the first time i have had to check for updates manualy.
Jekyll
Grafter

Yep I will do, Vista runs some games ok, but when I try those games on XP, they really fly!  Smiley
Next time I put my Vista Drive in I'll go check the updates manually, as perhaps the auto update has a problem from time to time