Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Mail or Outlook

quizereus
Grafter

Vista Mail or Outlook

Just got my new windows vista laptop Grin
I can't make my mind up whether to use the windows mail or my old version of outlook 2000.
I have loaded the office 2000 program and my p/c is asking me to make outlook the default e-mail client.
However it is not that easy... every time that outlook starts up, outlook thinks it is starting for the first time and goes through the registering process again.
If the windows mail program is good Huh I'll use that instead, any tips anyone ?
thanks, Quiz.
Moderators note by James_H : Changed title from all caps. All caps are considered shouting. : Please read the link:rules
7 REPLIES 7
paulh
Rising Star

Re: VISTA MAIL OR OUTLOOK

finding a decent email client is a problem for those of us who use free hotmail accounts and have a large enough address book and legacy of messages for it to be painful to change  ... much as I prefer not to use micro$oft I do use the windows live mail beta which works rather well for me  ...  if  quizereus is in the same position I suggest s/he try it from here
It is of course a beta but I like to live dangerously
paul
Not applicable

Have been using Windows Mail since February and haven't had a problem.  One advantage is the phishing/junk mail filter which can be configured to your own preferences.  Not sure if Outlook has this feature. Otherwise, in operation it is no different to OE and does the job adequately.
quizereus
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
Have been using Windows Mail since February and haven't had a problem.  One advantage is the phishing/junk mail filter which can be configured to your own preferences.  Not sure if Outlook has this feature. Otherwise, in operation it is no different to OE and does the job adequately.

Outlook 2000 does have a junk mail feature but it is not very good.I also have norton spam that intigrates with outlook and works well. (another reason to keep outlook) maybe I just need to upgrade to a later outlook?
But of course if I upgrade I may still have the same  and poppy is happy with windows mail?
going back in time a bit tho. windows mail program was outlook express, and outlook was a big improvement Huh
quizereus
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
Neither, use Thunderbird.

does anyone else use thunderbird ?
paulby
Grafter

I've been using Thunderbird for about two years now and it's now installed on every PC we own - in preference to OE on my wife's laptop and Windows Mail on the desktop.  I've also got it installed on the Linux box.
It gets used in preference to OE etc. as it's geat at handling IMAP accounts (which is the way I set things up in preference to POP3 - it means I can access my mail from any PC) and it has a good junk mail filter.
It also has, which for me is a must on the laptop, the ability to change outgoing SMTP server on a per message basis (you can get an add-on to do this quickly).
All in all much better than OE and Windows Mail.
galatea

Thunderbird sounds like an answer to many people's prayers; but if Thunderbird is so good why is it free? Surely there must be a cost?
quizereus
Grafter

Re: Vista Mail or Outlook

interesting thing happened just now Huh
I used pj's link to download thunderbird (ta pj) after installation  the thunderbird program was an option in the 'default programs ' list Outlook was never and still is not an option in that list.
As Outlook is still my preferred option, it would appear that I just need Vista to recognise it Huh
Outlook does work, but as I wrote earlier, when ever I start it, it is starting for the first time and goes through the registering bit.
Any ideas any one
Quiz