cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Firewall Tweak

Not applicable

Vista Firewall Tweak

I have always used the Vista firewall and don't want to use another, although I know that many people prefer to use a third party two-way firewall.
Question is, I have come across a utility or tweak which apparently makes the Vista firewall two-way. The link is:
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html
There is a free Universal 32-bit download available but I am a bit uncertain about this so I wondered if someone with more knowledge could take a look and offer advice?
6 REPLIES 6
lingbob
Grafter

Re: Vista Firewall Tweak

I thought the Vista firewall was already 2-way but the problem for the average home user is configuring outbound rules.
Apologies in advance if I'm wrong about this.
Regards .....
Not applicable

You have the same impression as me. There is an article in the recent Computeractive magazine which tells you to go to the Domain tab in the firewall properties box and click to block outbound connections. Doesn't work on my computer - I just lose Internet access!
Correction - tried it again i.e. set the outbound to block outgoing connections and I still have Internet access so I don't know what happened the first time.
lingbob
Grafter

I don't have Vista installed on any of my PC's at the moment so I can't try it but from memory, if you create an outbound rule to block everything, Vista is supposed to tell you when something tries to access the internet and then give you the option to allow it or not. Last time I tried that, Vista(x64) blocked all outbound traffic but neither told me nor gave me the option to allow /disallow.
Regards .....
Not applicable

Have had outbound on block all day and so far, like you, no warnings/rerquests have occurred. Will continue with it and see what happens.
Thank you for your interest.
lingbob
Grafter

Ummm, if you're blocking all outbound traffic how are you managing to post in the forums  Huh
Regards .....
Not applicable

You have a point! The suggestion in the mag was to block in the Domain Profile. If you block in the Private Profile then yes, the Internet access is stopped. Think that I'll have an early night and forget it!
Huh