cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Blue Screen of DOOM !... BUT Linux still works !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Vista Blue Screen of DOOM !... BUT Linux still works !

Quote from: purleigh
I'm glad to hear that you are back up and running,  although only time will tell if you have fixed it for good.
I have rebuilt a lot of computers in my time, and from what has just been described, it does not feel to me like any of this is HDD problems.
It feels more like disk controller or cable going intermittent, BIOS needs clearing and reconfiguring, NV battery going flat, or PSU drooping.
Hopefully I am wrong and I have my fingers crossed that you don't have any more problems  Smiley

The hard drive on my laptop is held in with two mini screws, and pulls out like a drawer from the side, you unscrew another two mini screws and swap the hdd`s, then push the hdd back in the slot, and fix with the two original mini screws.... no cables .... just a straightforward push in and fit...
when I took the duff hdd back the guy said it was probably the chip in the hdd failing, on an intemittent basis, because of the varying reasons for not working properly..and then working properly for a couple of hours ! ! ! . (no hdd  - media failure - file system- no boot device  etc... nothing constant...)
so the original hdd had Mint 9 as a dual boot, and that part worked ok... but windows failed with a blue screen... .. doing other old hdd swaps proved that it was the hdd at fault, because that was the only variable being changed. and the other hdd`s cancelled out any "internal" problems... (Bios was updated when the hdd was changed in Dec last year.. )  The problem I have with Linux mint, is that some of the progs I use, are not available in Linux versions... so I need to have the windows vista working as well...
anyway, whatever caused the windows blue screen, it is all working fine now... Thanks to all.