cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Blue Screen of DOOM !... BUT Linux still works !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Vista Blue Screen of DOOM !... BUT Linux still works !

Not sure where this should be..... so if it works out to be a windows thing, please move !..
Shut down my laptop last night, as I usually do, (proper close down, not just switch off).... this morning got a black screen with the "windows was unable to start" message and to insert my cdrom and choose the language then "Repair" .... did that, and it went through the motions for about 15 minutes.... said it had done it`s bit, and to restart....  took out the CDrom.... restarted the laptop, all seemed well, UNTIL the BLUE SCREEN OF DOOM with "STOP ! ! "  , and something about a "dump"... Undecided
!.... so did the repair process again, and again, got the blue screen...  so restarted, and then let the Linux Mint 9 boot up.... no problemo !.... Cheesy
SO .... how come the Blue Screen with WIndows Vista, if the Linux can still boot properly?....
Also, how long is the Linux Mint likely to work before it, too, decides, enough is enough?  (or does it ever do that ? ? ? )
60 REPLIES 60
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Vista Blue Screen of DOOM !... BUT Linux still works !

I would say this need to be in the WINDOWS area  Sad
No Linux issues here.  Grin
Mint doesn't care about your M$ install it can fall over and go in the huff and Mint will still work  Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only reason I haven't moved it as that as Linux will have been installed second something may have messed up the boot manager which is part of Linux.
The windows solution of a full repair install (which isn't the same as the quick repair option) will almost certainly stop Linux working
magnetism2772
Grafter

A blue screen error does not happen until windows has started. Right after the BIOS
screen, you repeatedly press F8. If you do get the Safe Mode menu, you
should have options for repair.

Safe Mode with Command Prompt should let you run system restore.
shutter
Community Veteran

I have had the linux Mint 9 Isadora as a dual boot for quite some time....  (Since early June, this year)   it is not a "new thing".... so can`t see how it would "corrupt" the windows version overnight.... and then give a blue screen .!
If I re-install vista, then it will almost certainly destroy all my files and folders too!... so not an option on this HDD....

Yes the blue screen does appear after the inital black screen with the little mobile working away at the bottom with Microsoft 
Will try the F8 continually to see what that does....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It won't corrupt the windows version but it may have corrupted its boot manager which could screw up windows as it can't find all the files it needs
Following on from the suggestion from giro - you should get these options - I would try Last Known Good Configuration
Safe mode - Starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services.
Safe mode with networking - Starts Windows in safe mode and includes the network drivers and services needed to access the Internet or other computers on your network.
Safe mode with command prompt - Starts Windows in safe mode with a command prompt window instead of the usual Windows interface. This option is intended for IT professionals and administrators.
Enable boot logging - Creates a file, ntbtlog.txt, that lists all the drivers that are installed during startup and that might be useful for advanced troubleshooting.
Enable low resolution video (640 � 480) - Starts Windows using your current video driver and using low resolution and refresh rate settings. You can use this mode to reset your display settings.
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) - Starts Windows with the last registry and driver configuration that worked successfully.
Directory services restore mode - Starts Windows domain controller running Active Directory so that the directory service can be restored. This option is intended for IT professionals and administrators.
Debugging mode - Starts Windows in an advanced troubleshooting mode intended for IT professionals and system administrators.
Disable automatic restart on system failure - Prevents Windows from automatically restarting if an error causes Windows to fail. Choose this option only if Windows is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and fails again repeatedly.
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement - Allows drivers containing improper signatures to be installed.
Start Windows normally - Starts Windows in its normal mod
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Moving to Windows as this is possibly the better spot
magnetism2772
Grafter

i dont have a windows disk , but i think you can set your bios to boot from your 'i have Windows DVD drive' instead of your hard drive
and  then into safe mode with command prompt
not sure though
be cool if you can operate a command prompt from your windows dvd
and are able to then use system restore on your windows drive

here  is microsoft explaining how to use system restore from the command prompt
this describes the procedure  for XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q304449/
shutter
Community Veteran

OK, on the move, Jim....
Have just done a couple of things already suggested...
1 r-booted and inserted the windows vista disc.... went through the "Repair" session, and this resulted in the following screen
Start up Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.
Problem details....
includes
Problem Signature 04 196611
                                  05 Corrupt Registry
                                  06 Corrupt File
                                  07 3221225487
                                  08 1
                                  09 WrpRepair

which isn`t too helpful to me.... !  ....
I did manage to get the screen you detailed, Jim, and tried the "Last Known Good Configuration"... but it still came back to  a blue screen..... the writing doesn`t stay on long enough to read it all, but I do remember after the STOP!... it said something about  C000128) Registry......
@ giro  If I get to the command prompt..... what can I do then? ? ? ? ?
magnetism2772
Grafter

if you can get the command prompt you can restore your system  with out messing up the MBR (master boot record)
details below show you how to do this  but it describes using the command prompt   for using system restore  for  win XP
wouldnt think there is any difference here mind in the system restore dos command
use linux to read what it says here below
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q304449/
To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
  1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
  2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
  3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
  4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
  5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
  6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.

notes:
Important If you have not previously set a restore point in System Restore, you cannot restore your computer to a previous state.
Note To start the System Restore tool using another safe mode option, visit the Microsoft Help and Support Web site and see the article "A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP." For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/ ) A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Oldjim
Resting Legend

You could also try a repair using the windows disk as described here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html but you will need to slipstream SP1 and SP2 first if your Vista disk doesn't include them
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Boot from your Vista disk, choose Repair but then cancel the Start-up Repair and then choose the advanced options.  From there you can use System Restore to revert your settings back to yesterday (or before) when everything was working.  Oldjim and Giro seem to be thinking in XP terms but this is easier with Vista or 7.
Edit:  Oh I see Oldjim has found graphic instructions on what to do but AFAIK no slipstreaming is required, any Vista disc will do.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi All,.... Back again...
Have done the "repair "option as presented by the VIsta Disc... and have also done the "restore" to a previous good config.... (system restore)  but still get the blue screen...
It seems strange to me that  I can see all the windows files being loaded in (can`t remember which option that was)..... and stranger still that the vista disc, cannot repair a corrupt registry entry,...
With the Blue screen, it seems the only option to get windows to function is to format this HDD  again, and lose everything on it.... ( I would transfer all my files and folders to an external hard drive if I had to, first, of course... ) then to re-install windows from the disc, and add in the SP2 after, before re-installing all my files and folders to this hdd..
Old Jim`s linky gives a pretty good set of instructions to follow, (and a further linky to using the Command Prompt )  trouble is... they arre on this screen..... and I can`t read them, and do them at the same time ! ! ! ...
magnetism2772
Grafter

not wanting to complicate matters
but windows backs up your registry
i'm wondering if you can  rename your dud registry to reg.dud say
and rename your backup reg to reg.reg
I cant understand why a good restore has not settled the issue
got this manually recover a corrupted registry that prevents windows starting  
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
looks a nightmare to me
here is another tutorial on fixing a dud registry
http://supportpcs.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=30

after system restore
are  you able to boot now into safe  mode ?

shutter
Community Veteran

No, I can`t get into safe mode from anywhere !.. just blue screen  Cry
(will have a quick look at the linkys now)

EDIT EDIT....
Hmm had a little chuckle when I read this ...
Requirements to install and to use this Guided Help
    * You must be logged on to Windows by using a computer administrator account to install and to use this Guided Help.
    * You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this Guided Help.

So if you get a blue screen, because of a corrupt registry item.... then "you must be logged on to windows ......... ! ! ! !  to use this guided help ! ! ! ! ! ! !  Grin