cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viruses

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: Viruses

Sorry, yeah, I often the two acronyms confused, I suspect because not only are they very similar but they both apply to Wireless tech.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: fourfourdevon
Quote from: amasike
The email had no attachments, I merely opened it and saw that it had smut on it.

Then it is unlikely to be the source of your infection, other than the "smut" and it being from Russia, do you have any other reasons to believe it was the source?
Sorry did you not read my post? I got a virus a couple years back through an Argos E-mail, Of course don't believe It, I must of Imagined It.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Sorry I find it unlikely, especially so if it was a legitimate Argos email.
Whilst it's possible, if the virus was specifically written for your email client, general viruses tend not to use routes like this because of the effort needed vs the number of infections, if however you were to tell me that you were a director of FTSE100 company and so were targetted as part of some industrial espionage then I would find that more credible.
How is it that you know an email from Argos was the source of a virus infection?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

OK so I did not use an E-Mail client, I was checking my E-Mails at yahoo on-line In my browser, The virus was from that email and definitely was a genuine Argos email as soon as I opened It my anti virus alerted me.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The problem is where an email uses html format and the recipient isn't using text only mode
http://elechub.com/how-to-protect-your-system-from-email-attached-virus/
3) Use HTML Email Sparingly:
HTML tags helps virus to enter in to others system.HTML tags having few advantages with files.They can change Color,text, including images in email.When you preview the image in your email then virus is activated.These type of virus may distroy your system just by previewing the images.Bubbleboy virus uses this type of method to destroy your system.
To protect your system from these kind of viruses is to Turn off HTML sending and receiving option.Or you can also set this option to not preview.The best option in my view is to use email programs like Courier by Rose City Software which allows you to disable all sending and receiving HTML tags through email.
avatastic
Grafter

Its more likely you were infected by one of the ad services yahoo was using at the time and it coincided with you opening the argos e-mail.
That's how most of these things are still installing themselves.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
3) Use HTML Email Sparingly:
HTML tags helps virus to enter in to others system.HTML tags having few advantages with files.They can change Color,text, including images in email.When you preview the image in your email then virus is activated.These type of virus may distroy your system just by previewing the images.Bubbleboy virus uses this type of method to destroy your system.
To protect your system from these kind of viruses is to Turn off HTML sending and receiving option.Or you can also set this option to not preview.The best option in my view is to use email programs like Courier by Rose City Software which allows you to disable all sending and receiving HTML tags through email.

Most webmail services (certainly the ones I use) prevent harmful HTML from being rendered.
Quote from: avatastic
Its more likely you were infected by one of the ad services yahoo was using at the time and it coincided with you opening the argos e-mail.

I agree, whilst impossible to say for sure at this distance, an advert on the Yahoo page is a far more likely candidate than the email from Argos.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well I lean more toward the way Oldjim has described as If I remember correctly by default yahoo opens up Images, The lot, I had to set my settings In yahoo what not to allow, Plus I was browsing other emails perfectly fine until I opened up that Argos one.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and out of interest, I had lost some e-mails to BTonline recently, they use Yahoo as a server
amasike
Dabbler

Quote from: ReedRichards
.... I removed my documents and music after I got the message that someone was trying to hack into my computer and steal my identity and bank details ....,

Wait a minute, amasike, you did not mention that originally.  No genuine software (or individual) gives you messages like that.  But at the moment there is a huge amount of fraudulent "security software" around that is very prone to such alarmist tactics.  So it's likely that some or all of the messages you have been seeing about computer viruses are not genuine, just designed to scare you into paying money for a fake product.  There are also criminals who will call you on the phone with the same sort of alarmist message. 

Hello ReedRichards,
It's really a long story. After viewing the email, I wanted to play some music I had stored on the computer but a message came up telling me I needed a license and directed me to a site wmasf.musicnet.com but there was nothing there about how to get a license. I couldn't even play a CD bought from the shop. I found some other people on the internet with the same problem who were asking for help.  Next thing I knew there were messages coming up saying "thank you for installing Antimalware Doctor", when I hadn't installed anything. The computer was going haywire.  I ran my AVG and it picked up the Trojans. I then ran my Spybot and it picked up Click.GiftLoad, Win32.FraudLoad.edt, Fraud.AntimalwareDoctor, Microsoft Windows Security Centre Firewall Bypass, Win32.Delf.uc. I installed Adaware and ran it. It blocked svchost with IP address 66.230.188.67 (Port 80) from connecting to my computer. It also blocked and quarantined a file type set-up.exe - process which accessed the file was virtool.win32.obfuscator.date(v)(14918944). Also Explorer.exe trying to make changes to the registry.  Other viruses found were TrojanFraudP, Right Media, Glowext.DLL Threat TR/Spy.gen, Trojan Backdoor Generic 13 ALAD, fxep/set-up.exe. The system was freezing up and was unresponsive and the only way I could shut it down was by switching it off at the wall. Control Alt Delete didn't work and neither did pushing the button on the CPU. I know when I'm being used as a host because the blue area between Start and the icons on the right turns Grey, then everything slows down and becomes unresponsive. Yesterday I was being directed to sites I didn't want. I put the word "plusnet" in the google search box and I was taken to Marks & Spencer website, which I was told had been infected. When I checked, the firewall had been turned off, so I had to shut it all down.
I haven't purchased any software and my bank account has not been touched. I just make sure that if I check my bank details or buy anything online that I do it using my netbook. Here's hoping it will all be over tomorrow.
P.S.  I should also have mentioned that a few of my music files had been corrupted with the viruses and wouldn't play but the rest were playing fine when the computer came back the other day.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This tells you about AntiMalware Doctor http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antimalware-doctor
Is this what you saw as it is all bogus
    Warning! Removed attack detected!
    Antimalware Doctor has detected that somebody is trying to block your computer remotely via {Trojan Worm BX12.434.CardStoler}.
    Transfer for Your private data via internet will start in: 7
    We strongly recommend you to block attack immediately.
    Antimalware Doctor has detected that somebody is trying to transfer your private data via internet. We strongly recommend you to block attack immediately.
    Your computer is subjected to hacker attack. Antimalware Doctor has detected that somebody is trying to transfer your private data via internet. We strongly recommend you to block attack immediately.

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Unless something is done to remove the malware, it won't be fixed tomorrow.
If you cannot remove the virus, your machine needs to be reinstalled from scratch.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

...Next thing I knew there were messages coming up saying "thank you for installing Antimalware Doctor", when I hadn't installed anything. The computer was going haywire.... 

As Oldjim said, "Antimalware Doctor" is bogus software.  This type of software will pester you and scare you in an attempt to get you to part with some money and it will also do its best to stop you doing much else on the computer.  On top of that you may have other malware but it's quite difficult to tell because there is no universal malware-naming convention so what AVG calls TrojanX, Spybot might call TrojanY and AdAware TrojanZ.  Good luck with the re-install tomorrow.   
samuria
Grafter

The best way of removing any malware/virus is to goto http://www.pchelpforum.com its 100% free and they have tools they run to find all malware and will work with you to remove it for free
Njal
Grafter