cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus

davidstreatfiel

Virus

My wife is at home and was working on our 7 year old XP computer. The computer has been working fine. She received a landline call today and the person said that they were from microsoft and that there was a virus on the computer and on the desktop. Within a few seconds a new file appeard on the desktop and the computer then did strange things and then stopped working.
Does anyone have any idea how the callers could have known my IP address and my phonenumber . Do people know of this scam ?
She uses plusnet broadband
Look forward to ideas and any help
Dave
8 REPLIES 8
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Virus

I know that this is an Australian site - http://apcmag.com/phone-con-no-that-is-not-microsoft-calling.htm - but it's the same con.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Your wife must have done rather more than just answer a telephone call.
She must have done a number of things as requested on the telephone.
This will, at the very least, have included downloading and running a file.
In a typical version of the scam, callers are told that their machine is being monitored either by Microsoft or by their anti-virus provider, and an infection has been detected. The caller then offers to walk the customer through the steps needed to fix the (non-existent) problem. The instructions provided install remote control software on the machine, making it usable as part of a bot network and also potentially allowing it to track personal details such as account numbers or passwords.
I hope that you don't use that computer for internet banking and haven't bought anything using a credit card since it happened.
If you aren't too computer knowledgeable you may need to take your computer to a repair shop for fixing.
However one thing which may work is to start the computer in safe mode http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm then try system restore http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
If that doesn't work try starting it from a command prompt http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
    Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
    Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
    If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
    Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
    At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
    Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

my friend next door got exactly the same phone call from Manchester ! its a scam !!!
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97982.0/topicseen.html
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I oftenn get them from a "Gent" with a far east accent, my caller display says International
got the Wife well trained, we wind them up well for at least a mintute before we tell them to go forth and fornicate
David_W
Rising Star

I had one of these again a few days ago, started off with a nice enough lady but I wasn't in the mood to play with her so I told her exactly what the phone call is about, what the person would tell me to do (go into event viewer etc.) and that it's a scam and illegal.  Unfortunately the lady had the IQ of a brick, even though I pointed out how it was a scam and such she didn't give up, so I said "oh, go on then, I'll humour you, what do you want me to do?" so she put me through to a "technician" who - surprise surprise - told me to go into event viewer!  I complied and then told him what every single event meant, oddly he hung up then.
wacky17
Grafter

I know this may sound crazy but i really want one of these calls so i can play along just for the entertainment  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

as long as you dont do any of the actions thats ok and wil save you £80 to get a repair place to remove it
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I always try to keep these people on the phone for as long as possible when they call me on the basis that if they are talking to me they won't be able to use that time to fleece a gullible user. I use two or three different scenarios depending on my mood, such as:

• MSDOS 5 PC

• PC running Linux

• A totally dumb user who makes constant mistakes

My record so far is a call lasting 35 minutes
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.