Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Virus

Don't know if anyone can help, at work today my computer was infected with a virus, probably from an email.  I now can't do anything on it, I've just got a warning that I need to buy softwear to clean the computer up.  I normally connect to a server remotely, but it won't let me do that either.  I don't know if or how I can get rid of it, nobody else at work knows either.  I would appreciate any help if anyone else has had this.
10 REPLIES 10
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Virus

The warning could be from a site that itself will infect your PC.
Do you have anti virus software installed on your PC.
Is there no-one who offers IT support either within your company or contracted externally maybe the people who installed your computers?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Denzil
Grafter

Whatever you do, don't click on any message unless you are absolutely sure of its origin. The message that you need to buy software sounds dodgy to me, and could have originated in the virus itself.
If you are not sure then take the PC to someone who knows what they are doing - a local PC shop, for instance. Then make sure you have up to date antivirus software running on every PC. You don't need to spend any money - there are plenty of good free ones out there. Try Avast, for instance.
avatastic
Grafter

get a copy of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (preferably on a usb stick) and install it in safe mode with networking (so it can fetch its latest updates) and run a FULL scan.
If it doesn't detect anything, report back and we'll drum up more ideas.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
southken
Rising Star

Thanks for your replies, we don't really have anyone who knows what to do, I think it will have to be looked at by someone who knows about it.  I think it was the message to buy softwear that contained the virus in the first place and it was my fault for opening it.
Strat
Community Veteran

Just as a thought if you have other computers and they are networked together it would be best to either disconnect the infected one from the network or leave it switched off until it can be cleaned (if it's not already too late).
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Ask someone else, who is still able to connect to the net, to download, a "live CD" version of Linux Mint.... it will be an .iso file, that you then "burn" to a CD rom disc.... You then set up your BIOS to "Boot from CD Drive".... insert the CD and let the computer "boot up" in the Linux Mint....
once it is "on your screen"... you will be able to access your files and documents on the hard drive....If you are "wired" connection to the internet. you should still be able to access the internet...
Download AVAST or similar FREE antivirus program, and save it to USB stick.... then close Linux.... Remove the CD and re-boot in SAFE MODE to windows,... run the Antivirus program if you can. and hopefully it will clear it for you.....
Other helpful people will , I am sure, be able to give you more detailed information...
NOTE.... the Linux Mint Operating System will not be installed on your computer..... it runs from the CD rom Disc....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

malwarebytes is the recommended for this virus threat
Strat
Community Veteran

I get the impression that there is no-one there technically competent enough to do anything constructive.
I had a similar situation with the south London office of the company I worked at. Every little IT problem that I couldn't fix remotely I had a 300 mile round trip to fix on-site.
southken
Rising Star

Thanks for all your advice, when I go in tomorrow I will see if anyone can help to do what you have recommended.  Unfortunatley, Strat has hit the nail on the head.
southken
Rising Star

Thanks for the suggestions, we tried to remove the virus but couldn't do anything.  I had to change computers and head office will eventually have a look and see what they can do.  I have now got security on this one and it is a lesson learned.