Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus

FIXED
TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Virus

On my laptop running windows 10 the virus checker defender is reporting a virus. App asktoolbar . Have tried removing it thro defender but is still there. have looked for it in list of programs and apps to uninstall it but cannot find it anywhere, Anybody any ideas as it stops the virus checker working when the machine does a scan and the only way to restart it is to  restart the computer! Smiley

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Virus

Fix

@TTman One idea which may work - start your computer in 'SAFE MODE' and run defender - if that 'asktoolbar' is the pain it used to be, that may remove it.

Another option would be to install 'Malwarebytes' and run it - again in safe mode, just to be doubly careful.

Best of luck. 😉

John
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@jab1  Thanks for reply. have run defender offline so I think that maybe in safe mode. will look at malwarebytes tomorrow and report back thenThumbs_Up

jab1
Legend

@TTman OK.

John
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 Hi 

After sorting myself out yesterday with safe mode.  Tried this morning and downloaded malwearbytes and ran it in safe mode. It found 236  items!! So quarantined them all and then went back out of safe mode and ran a defender scan. this still showed two Asktoolbar items under  app and browser control  one with yesterdays date. Ran malwarebytes again the rebooted laptop and checked defender again this. Now clear so might have got rid of them now, will keep checking over next couple of days and if ok you will not hear from me again.Thumbs_UpSmiley

Do you recommend that I keep Malwarebytes, is it better than defender, If so i am willing to pay for premium.

jab1
Legend

@TTman Glad you got it sorted.

As to keeping MWB, and this is only based on how I do things: You now have a fully functional version for 30 days, after which it it will automatically downgrade to the 'free' slightly less functional version, I have the free version, and just run a weekly manual check as Avast runs in real-time to prevent any really dangerous threats (as does Defender).

To be honest I would see how you get on with it, but if you don't have further problems in that time, let it expire but definitely keep the free one - you can 're-upgrade' at any time should you wish.

Don't forget to run manual scans once it becomes 'free'😉

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Another one you can use,which cleans out all your old cookies and other "stuff" ( use imagination for correct word - which used to be in the title of this prog .... )

CCleaner...

You can also run it as a Registry Cleaner... ( amazing the amount of stuff it finds and chucks out ! ) .

For the "naysayers" on Reg cleaning... I have been doing CCleaner Reg Cleaner for at least 15 years.... and NEVER had a problem caused by it...

( now I am running Linux... I don`t need it ! ) Cheesy

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@TTman wrote:

Do you recommend that I keep Malwarebytes, is it better than defender, If so i am willing to pay for premium.

Looking at various techie sites and forums, and from my own experience over the years, the general consensus seems to be that despite its previous shortcomings, Defender in Win 10 these days is a reliable defence against most nasties.

No AV is perfect, so it's a good idea to have Malwarebytes Free installed, and run it it if a second opinion is needed.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)