cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus questions?

briston
Aspiring Pro

Virus questions?

So as not to wrongly post, is this an appropriate forum to ask advice about a virus problem?
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
artificer
Grafter

Re: Virus questions?

what's the problem?
briston
Aspiring Pro

Every time I look at the site www.briston-norfolk.co.uk I get a pop up which originates from celldorado. I think that the pop up only occures on my machine and on this site only so I have linked it to something on my own computer. By the way, thats the start of my site which I am contructing useing Dreamweaver CS3.
I have looked round the net and there seem some very complicated ways of getting rid of it. There also seem to be some sites which say they can get rid of it but considering the reports of how hard it is to remove I have my doubts. Can something like Norton or McAffee help.
I am useing Vista and AVG anti virus.

Any thoughts anyone?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Are you using FireFox?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'm having the pop up blocked by firefox and IE7, question is if it is your site how is it causing the pop up?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
briston
Aspiring Pro

I am useing IE7. I do not want to change browser as this would only be cureing the symptom rather than the cause.
Thanks for haveing a look.
briston
Aspiring Pro

OK, I have just removed a pop up that I know would come up. It was a piece of Java script which identified the time of day and displayed a message. So any pop up now would be the offending celldorado.
Something I have noticed. I get the pop up on my machine when I look at the site for the first time. If I close the pop up and refresh it does not appear. If I clear my cashe it will pop up again on a refresh.
Just another thought. I am not sure if this is strictly a pop up. My IE would warn me of a pop up but this appears as a seperate window without any protection from IE7
As I have said before. I do think it is a combination of my site and something on my machine as I do not think anyone else would get the problem, although it would be nice to see this confirmed.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Have you tried one of the free adware removal packages?
For example:
Microsoft Windows Defender http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx
Spybot S&D http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Ad-Ware Free Edition (for personal use only)  http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7423-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html
briston
Aspiring Pro

Windows Defender is running as part of the Vista installation
Ad Ware does nt find anything. I will try Spybot
Now down loaded Spybot. Found nothing
briston
Aspiring Pro

The site which pops up has an address  http://uk.celldorado.com/UK/ADS/1028062191/index.php?
briston
Aspiring Pro

To all those who have helped. Many thanks. I may have solved it. The chat made me think a bit deeper and I realised that the adds that I saw were not pop ups in the usual way as IE7 was not stopping them.
I looked at the adds and it had a telephone number on them which I called. It is a company which sells mobile download ring tones. I asked to be put to the department which deals with malicious software being downloaded. I was told that it is all legitimate and web sites carry automatic generateing adds. I became insistant and said that it was my own site which was carrying these adds and the assistant immediately suggested I was using webstats on my site. Some time ago I used netstat which was fine. I remeber some time back I was informed that the company had been bought out or something but all would be fine.
I have now removed the counter from my site. All seems  OK.
Not applicable

Was just about to suggest that, but you removed it as I thought about it then went back to check your code.
No such thing as a free lunch!
/here endeth todays lesson. Grin
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_H
No such thing as a free lunch!

Pft.. from http://www.plus.net/careers/life_at_plusnet/
Free on-site catering.

Wink
B.
Not applicable

Yeah, but you have to work in South Yorkshire...
Tongue