Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus problems

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Virus problems

I Have an old computer not connected to the internet that I use to try out different programs. The anti virus software is not up to date and I suspect that I have got infected with the win32 trojan-gen(other) virus worm. It prevents me from having access to any file or program with the message "you do not have authority to access this program"
This even includes the same message when I try to shut the computer down.
Fortunately I have an original windows disk, Am I correct in thinking that if I was to do a fresh install of windows that would get rid of this virus ? Also for future reference if I got infected with any other virus in the future would a fresh reinstall get rid of it.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
14 REPLIES 14
newmillscomp
Grafter

Re: Virus problems

Have you tried connecting it to the internet, updating the virus pattern and running a scan.
Yes a fresh install will get rid of the virus but it's last resort option
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Does your main antivrus provider (on another system) all you to create a boot disk which you can then use to clear the old computer
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Oldjim,
I'm not sure if my anti virus provider does this.. I am using Avast (free). If anyone knows if Avast provide this please let me know.
Newmillscomp,
Only problem is that the computer was last connected to the internet over 2 years ago so it would be wide open to getting another virus between when I connect and the update. I guess it would be possible to download the current avast set up to this computer transfer it to disk then install on the other computer.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

you could reset the registry values to allow yourself permissions again.  a bit less drastic than a full reinstall.
samuria
Grafter

Do a free online virus scan from
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
and see what it says then let us know before you jump the gun.
A fresh install is only 99% guarantee of being virus free depending how you do a reinstall. You would have to delete the partition and re write the MBR to be sure as virus can be in the MBR or hidden in the partition so if you just installed without deleting it may not be 100%
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Muppetgrinder,
I would have no idea how to reset the registry values, so that is a no go area for me.
Scanning the disk which has the virus (using an computer with up to date virus software & firewall) gives me a message of  Win32;Trojan-gen (other) virus worm.  Looking this up on the net gets even more confusing as some posts say this is a false positive...... Clearly they are wrong as I was unable to get permission to access anything when I ran the program on my other computer.
Reinstallation of windows is not a major problem on my old computer as I tend to use it for checking things out etc so there would be few additional programs I would need to reinstall.
Even windows does not have to be up to date as I would not normally consider going online with this computer.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

where do you reckon you got the virus from, I hope you arnt transferring it between you machine, that Is if it isnt a false positive, there are a lot with w32 VIRUS
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Pierre-Pierre,
The virus is on a program on a cd. Unfortunately there are several other programs on the same disk that work ok and I do not wish to lose. By running a virus scan on the disk I am given the message of Win32:trojan-gen(other) virus worm. I Had thought it might be possible to run the program and put the virus in quarintine thus enabling me to install the program "virus free" but clearly I was wrong.
I Have never tried to run the program on my main machine so it is not being transferred from one machine to another.
I guess I will have do some research on the topic of viruses.   
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the problem is it cant clean the virus on the CD they are read only - however if you have a reasonable anti virus on you slave machine, and then copy the prog to the machine, do a virus scan, it MIGHT do what you want, dont run the prog, unless it is a real nasty it should be OK, and a decent anti virus will scan it when copied
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

to edit the registry to allow access to taskmanager go to Start -> Run... and type in Regedit.  Before you change anything go to File and export a backup of the registry (best practices and all that), once that's done expand the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_USER
Software
Microsoft
Windows
Current Version
Policies
System
double click on the DissableTaskMgr and change the value of 1 to 0

I would also, while in there go back up to the Windows level and then into "Run" and look at what is being run on startup.  If there is anything that looks suspicious delete it.  Nothing in the Run folder is required for windows to start, so you should be safe enough if you remove somthing by mistake.
You will probably require a reboot to get it to work.
Also, run an msconfig and check the Services that are being run at startup aswell.  use the checkbox to Hide Microsoft entrys to make life easyer, since you will be wanting to leave them well enough alone anyways.
Njal
Grafter

You could try:
http://www.malwareremoval.com/
They appear to be helpful, but I've never actually used them myself.
Regards,
Neil
StickyMick
Grafter

Not sure if this would be any use to you: http://www.free-av.com/en/news/20/avira_presents_a_free_data_recovery_rescue_cd.html It's an ISO file that you burn to CD and it creates a bootable Linux based CD which gives you full access to your boot drive, and it also contains an up to date virus/malware removal tool.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Just a line to thank you all for the replies.
Will  check out the suggestions made
Cheers
samuria
Grafter

You can clean the cd by scanning it for virus and noting down were it is as has been said it wont be able to clean it. Note were it is and copy all the other files to the hd and make a new cd without the virus