Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus checkers ??

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Virus checkers ??

I Have just changed to AVG free from Avira which I paid for, but it takes all day to check my computer when I check scan all computer, what should I be able to leave out and what about tracking cookies, I thought they were needed to go to my chosen sites?? Any advice apreciated, or would Avira be better Thanks  E
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Virus checkers ??

If you want to look for tracking cookies you should use something like Superantispyware free edition http://www.superantispyware.com/
in fact tracking cookies are usually fairly harmless which is why most of the Security Packages ignore them. They certainly aren't needed for normal sites such as this one. I don't know if it is still the case but years ago Lavasoft  insisted my banking cookies were spyware - they weren't of course.
If you really want to control cookies use Firefox and set it to ask for all cookies and not accept third party cookies. You can then either accept the cookies - such as for this site - block cookies for sites which have no business setting them or allow session cookes. This last option is very useful as it allows you to browse sites which insist on setting cookies but when you close Firefox they are all deleted.
Not applicable

I too have FF set as outlined by oldjim. Also use BetterPrivacy addon which deletes cookies as soon as you close Firefox, and CCleaner at the end of the day.
stathe
Rising Star

I have had Firefox but found it took ages to load,
stathe
Rising Star

Perhaps I should just allow the tracking cookies ?Huh
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you had a look at: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/
Antivirus and Antispyware combined for free.
stathe
Rising Star

Unfortunately this wont work for me
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you delete the cookies  you also loose the history on the mybroadband speed tester
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

We are discussing tracking cookies - that one isn't picked up as that.
However - and I wish I hadn't done it - I ran Superantispyware and found several tracking cookies which were nothing to do with Firefox and were of the form cookie@atdmt.com
Checking it seems to be associated with Windows Live - tried deleting it but it didn't even tried deleting it manually and windows announced that it couldn't see the file. Most odd
stathe
Rising Star

Well AVG has been going for more than 9 hours now, may be I dont need to check as much
bobboulby
Grafter

I've got mine set to "scan infectable files only" (see screenshot). This makes a big difference to the scan time - my weekly scan takes circa 1 hour 50 minutes to scan around 700,000 files.
Bob