cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus/Spyware protection?

macmuck

Virus/Spyware protection?

Hi
New member who has come from cable to non-cable area ( losing netguard!)so do I need Virus/Spyware protection on top of the existing here?
Any good simple freebies out there?
Am running XP and a low user tho considering file sharing....TA..
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Virus/Spyware protection?

While we do offer a firewall that blocks the common ports used by virii and DDoS attacks it is always recommended to use antivirus. Personally I use AVG free and have had no issues with it though there are other solutions out there.
For anti spam and spyware I have both ad aware and Spybot search and destroy; I also use gmail for my personal email. I run spybot and ad aware about once a week and have been (touch wood) free of any major issues for several years now.
The firewall settings can be found in the members centre and can be configured from there.
Hope that helps,
Yadda
Grafter

I use the following software (all free):
Avast antivirus (Free, but you have to register after a trial period.)
Zonealarm (firewall).
Spybot Search & Destroy (adware/malware scanner with realtime protection and "imunization".)
Ad-aware 2007 (adware/malware scanner.)
Spyware Blaster (not a scanner but protects your PC from common spyware attacks.)
hulls
Grafter

I use AVG for virus protection, and run Spybot, and adaware as well as avg anti-spyware, every couple of weeks or so - but then I'm paranoid.  Grin
John
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try AntiVir for Windows. It's free - but with frequent updates.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

swiftfox98

AVG antivirus free edition is very good,also try Spyware Terminator which is free and gives realtime protection against spyware and scans on a daily basis.Comodo Personal Firewall is free and works very well on Windows XP.
        Regards Swiftfox98 Wink
macmuck

Thank you all for the advice, I'll take a look at these and get something on board.
javascript:replaceText(' ;D', document.forms.postmodify.message);
Grin