cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus Programs

deekay
Grafter

Virus Programs

In Windows7, I run the 'Avast' anti-virus program. Some time ago, I read that even if one used another virus program, one should also run Microsoft's 'Windows Defender' program as a "second line of anti-virus defence".
Although I briefly tried it for a few weeks, I have not been at all keen on this idea, as I always understood that more than one anti-virus program would both slow the computer down and they would conflict with each other.
Please, what do the Windows Experts think?
If only one program, which is the better of the two to run?
I use Linux a lot, but do want my Windows7 installation to be as safe as possible.
Many thanks for any advice.
Keith
23 REPLIES 23
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Virus Programs

Win 7 , you cant go wrong with MSE http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx ,,,its free  Wink
in addition i run Malwarebytes free & Ccleaner  and have never been compromised , Best combination you can use  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mav
Fixes: 515

+1 with the addition of SpyBot S&D v1.62.
All work well together but with Malwarebytes, CCleaner & SpyBot you must do manual updates and ran the scans yourself, too.
I have MSE to scan once a week on a Wednesday afternoon and then manually do the other three once that's complete.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

NedLudd
Grafter

There is an Antivirus Megatest in the current edition of Computer Active.
Microsoft Security Essentials comes out last and is labelled being by doing more harm than good by letting you believe that you're protected when you're not!
Kaspersky comes out top and Avast is 5th!
Geoff,
York.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Sorry Nedlud but i care to differ , despite  what  so called independent test say , MSE works 100% fine and like i say have never !!! been compromised at all in the last 3 years i have used  it 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: NedLudd
There is an Antivirus Megatest in the current edition of Computer Active.
Microsoft Security Essentials comes out last and is labelled being by doing more harm than good by letting you believe that you're protected when you're not!
Kaspersky comes out top and Avast is 5th!

Out of interest who came 2nd 3rd and 4th?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: rongtw
Sorry Nedlud but i care to differ , despite  what  so called independent test say , MSE works 100% fine and like i say have never !!! been compromised at all in the last 3 years i have used  it 

That is your opinion based upon your usage. CA have produced their results for people to make their own judgements.
MSE missed 40 out of 100 threats.
1) Kaspersky missed zero
2) Norton Internet Security missed one
3) ESET Smart Security missed five
4) McAfee Internet Security missed one (but expensive)
5) Avast (Best Free) missed 9
Geoff,
York.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Thanks for the info NedLudd
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deekay
Grafter

Many thanks for all the replies. They are very useful and I appreciate them.
I'll have to do a bit of thinking about the suggestions!
Cheers.
Keith

thejudge
Rising Star

If you're going to follow Mav's suggestion, make sure you use Spybot v1.62 (if still available). Avoid Spybot v2 like the proverbial, for verily it is a bloated crock of poo.  Sad
I use Avast! Free with Microsoft Defender and Malwarebytes. No problems.  Cool
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I see more virused computers running McAfee than all other security software put together.  If it was rated number 4 in a test then that test cannot be of any real-world scenario.
I never use Spybot any more because it went into a decline and has been superseded by other software that runs much faster.  These days what you need is software that can find and remove programs that have a veneer of legitimacy and thereby escape the notice of conventional security software.  Malwarebytes classifies these as PUPs, Potentially Unwanted Programs 
Most security software running on Windows 7 will disable Windows Defender.  That includes Microsoft Security Essentials.  To check you can look at your Windows Update History to see if Windows Defender definition updates are being installed.
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
I see more virused computers running McAfee than all other security software put together.  If it was rated number 4 in a test then that test cannot be of any real-world scenario.

According to CA MacAfee have released a new version with vast improvements!
But, you should also bear in mind, that all the tests performed are exactly the same on all checkers.
Why so called professionals baulk at independent tests beats me!
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

@ReedRichards
You are right, McAfee is the worst out there, so much so that the guy that made it, was glad to have his name removed from it, after INTEL yes INTEL purchased & re-branded it,
Quote from: TORPC

<snip>
Even Intel which has taken over Mcafee are or have dropped the Mcafee brand name (will see if I can find the link)
The recommendations would be either
Avast free or Microsoft Security Essentials (MSSE) not both for the main resident AV
<snip>
Edit:

[quote= http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entrepreneurs/hot-shots/2014/01/07/intel-drops-mcafee-name-from-software.html]John McAfee is finally glad to be rid of his embarrassing association with McAfee antivirus software.

[quote= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25631183]His response to Intel’s rebranding was pure McAfee: “I am now everlastingly grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet,” he told the BBC. “These are not my words, but the words of millions of irate users. My elation at Intel’s decision is beyond words.”

I know people still refer to it as McAfee & that is right for prior to INTEL's re-branding
Therefore in the test that was mentioned above  / below (depending on your settings)
McAfee or INTEL's re-branded version ?Huh
NedLudd
Grafter

Well, buy a copy of CA and read the article for yourself!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Why so called professionals baulk at independent tests beats me!

I baulk at test results that contradict my own experience.  If
... MacAfee have released a new version with vast improvements...

that's because it needed to be vastly improved.  I have not encountered this wonderful new version yet.  Is it incorporated into Plusnet Protect, I wonder?