cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus Alert

valart
Grafter

Virus Alert

Everytime I start up my widows 7 a small alert message pops up saying this is a unknown file and it is telling me to be careful,I am almost sure this is one of those bogus anti virus programs that adds viruses to ones computer,the wording is c\Users\App Data\ Local\Temp.Can someone tell me how to stop this alert message appearing at the start.
21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Virus Alert

what is the actual file name and the full path to it
Denzil
Grafter

A screenshot of the message might help as well.
valart
Grafter

The name of the file Name\APP Data\Local\Temp\afeattvlx\ulypmwsbl.exe
Publisher Unknown
From C:\Users\Arthur\APP Data Local Temp \afeattvlxlu

This is the actual wording of the security warning and to be careful on opening it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

weird Google doesnt recognize the Exe or the folder name
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just delete it then delete it from the recycle bin.
In fact you can delete all the files in that folder if you wish
valart
Grafter

How do I delete this file because this file has run and cancel and if I click on cancel it goes but will return when I startup my computer.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Open windows explorer
Click on Tools then Folder Options
Then click on View then Click on Show Hidden Files and Folders then click on apply- see picture
You will then see the folder Appdata and you can then navigate to the Temp folder and delete the file - see second picture
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You are having to do manually what your antivirus program should have done for you.  What security software do you use on your computer?
valart
Grafter

I am using Mcafee
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Suggestion Ditch McAfee and Use MSE...It's free as long as your windows Is genuine!!
It's here and highly recommended, Light on resources as well....http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
valart
Grafter

Thanks with all of your help on this subject this was a security warning about a anti virurs program that spreads viruses and wants you to pay for the program to get rid of them,I found this out on a website called Major Geeks I have used system restore and my problems are over it also had trouble connecting with internet explorer and that is back to normal.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

It's nasty that Is, I had to go and totally clean out my girlfriends mothers PC few weeks back with this problem, 44 trojans  later and all Is well ( Till the next time Roll_eyes ), She uses XP, First I've heard of this hitting windows 7.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

You may want to clean system restore as well though, Lets say you forget about this and months later you do a system restore to the time of Infection? Bang!!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: valart
... this was a security warning about a anti virurs program that spreads viruses and wants you to pay for the program to get rid of them..

There are many different versions of this type and they have been around for sevral years.  The generic term is "scamware".