cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtumondo

Rikaitch
Grafter

Virtumondo

Does anyone know where this virus comes from? I have had a spate of call outs with it, and removing it was always quite easy until yesterday when my detector failed to find one file, and removal was nigh on impossible. I always seem to find it on PCs used by teenagers, and if I knew where it came from, I'd be able to stop it.
1 REPLY 1
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Virtumondo

Characteristics -
This is not a virus or trojan. It is an application that generates extra pop-up ads while using Internet Explorer.
This kind of application generally comes bundled with another program, which usually discloses the fact that it is ad-supported.
The main executable of the application is likely to be using the filename SYSUPD.EXE or WINDOWSUPD.EXE. Once installed a Registry key is typically used to hook system startup. One of the following is likely to be present:
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
      \Run "SysUpd" = (path/filename to adware)
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
      \Run "WindowsUpd" = (path/filename to adware)
Users who would like to check for the presence of potentially unwanted programs on their system should run the command line scanner with the /PROGRAM switch.

Also see http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1107  for the difficult version