cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirtualBox 2.0.2 released!

samuria
Grafter

VirtualBox 2.0.2 released!

I have been using virtual pc's for many years but have just come across this FREE one from Sun Virtua lBox free from
http://VirtualBox 2.0.2 released!
Its very impressive and easy to use and I have found it better than any other. It has templates for most O/S like linux vista xp win98 etc. so you create a new pc select the profile from the list and it sets up most of it for you.
For those that dont know this software lets you run another O/S virtual on your pc with no risk to your O/S no messing with the hard drive but it runs just like a real pc with cd.s sound network etc and its very simple to set up.
It has the advantage that you can put on a base O/S like XP and then install virtual pc and run those so there is less risk of virus etc, the best of this software is it lets you create a snapshot so you can roll back.
If you have never tried it give it a go as its just a file on your hd you can back it up and have a complete system which can be run on any pc as its hardware in dependant so if you get another pc it will still work
4 REPLIES 4
God
Grafter

Re: VirtualBox 2.0.2 released!

Thanks for the info Sam I will take a look, seems the link isnt right, but this should be. http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Cheers
timlake
Grafter

Hows it compare to VMWare?
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi folks!
I am sad that this thread seems to have stalled. VirtualBox looks interesting, thanks Jim, but no-one seems to have made a comparison with VMWare. I want to try to run a basic Windows (98SE disk here) set-up within Ubuntu (8.04) so tha I can use some harware with only Win drivers and nothinbg about in Linux. Any views???
colintivy :[
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I use Virtualbox (Now 3.02 BTW) on Ubuntu 9.04. I use the non-open version to get usb support. (Still free for personal use)
You want to run hardware what hardware?
I use a virtual xp to print dvd's and highres pics to my Canon Printer, and a bit of ebook conversion on it and that is about it.
If the hardware is usb based then you should be fine but if it is pci you will probably will be out of luck as the virtual bx doesn't <i>see</i> and underneath hardware.
I used to use VMware at work but that was over 3 years ago now and I haven't installed it here, VBox does what I need and is free and easy to use.