cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual memory

morgan2476
Grafter

Virtual memory

I had set up my virtual memory on a seperate partition of my HD which i use solely for the virtual memory.  However when i checked it tonight i discovered it was set to " no paging file" i have now put it on "system managed file."  What is the best option, and if I do a "custom size on the seperate partition what size should it be?  I have 768 meg of ram
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Virtual memory

Just copy the system sizes, but if they aren't there then double your memory is a good bet. I'd be surprised if it needs over 3gb though.
Hope that helps,
chalbury
Grafter

There is not a lot of point putting virtual memory on a separate partition. IMHO it should only be put on a separate drive with a fixed size that winxp recommends. With 3gb of ram, my settings are 2 mb fixed on C and on a separate D drive  4606 - 4606 fixed. It is desirable to defrag before fixing so that the page file is contiguous
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Is this right?
You have 3G of real storage - yet you need a swap file?
Is that 4606M?
I've only got 1G of real storage (sob)
My swap partition is 0M used of 256M

chalbury
Grafter

Yes that is right. I have a separate large 250gb drive, space is freely available and I understand that Photoshop is greedy. My processor is an E6850 and the whole machine runs pretty slickly. If you have it, why not flaunt it  Grin